PDA

View Full Version : Norfolk marriages help please

Margaret in Burton
05-03-13, 16:53
Following on from this weeks TT5G thread.

Can anyone find a couple of marriages for me?

Joseph Corbell / Corbold / Corble and Elizabeth Rout. Her maiden name is noted in the burial register. First child I've found born 1744 in Blo Norton, Norfolk.

John Newgas / Newgus and Bridget. First child I've found there is 1745 in Bressingham, Norfolk. Have found other children in South Lopham, Norfolk.

kiterunner
05-03-13, 17:09
Yes, the first one is on FreeREG, Marg - FreeREG is very good for Norfolk stuff.

Joseph Corbel married Elizabeth Rout 13 Nov 1739 at St Andrew, South Lopham.

kiterunner
05-03-13, 17:16
Not managed to find the other one yet. They could have got married in Suffolk of course.

JessBow
05-03-13, 17:31
John Newgas died 1829 Blo Norton- guess you have that anyway

kiterunner
05-03-13, 17:59
FamilySearch has these baptisms at Great Thornham (aka Thornham Magna), Suffolk, with parents John and Bridget:
Mary Negus 11 Jan 1736
Bridget Negus 21 Jul 1738
Bridget Newgus 5 Feb 1738

Also they have a Nathaniel Negus born Thornham Magna and baptised 6 Dec 1739 at Bury St Edmunds, parents John and Bridget.

So they very likely did get married in Suffolk, in which case the marriage may not be so easy to find.

kiterunner
05-03-13, 18:05
There is a public tree on ancestry giving Bridget's maiden name as Syer and their marriage as 1734 Thornham, Suffolk (they don't say which Thornham). Doesn't give an exact date of the marriage but I'm guessing they mean the marriage which is on FamilySearch: John Nayes / Bridget Syer 24 Oct 1734 Great Thornham. I can imagine that the name Negus could be mistranscribed as Nayes.

Margaret in Burton
05-03-13, 19:32
John Newgas died 1829 Blo Norton- guess you have that anyway

Different John, too young, but I guess he's related somewhere just haven't found him yet.

Margaret in Burton
05-03-13, 19:34
Yes, the first one is on FreeREG, Marg - FreeREG is very good for Norfolk stuff.

Joseph Corbel married Elizabeth Rout 13 Nov 1739 at St Andrew, South Lopham.

I've been looking on Freereg, don't know how I missed that unless I still had my filter on Blo Norton.

Thanks

Margaret in Burton
05-03-13, 19:40
FamilySearch has these baptisms at Great Thornham (aka Thornham Magna), Suffolk, with parents John and Bridget:
Mary Negus 11 Jan 1736
Bridget Negus 21 Jul 1738
Bridget Newgus 5 Feb 1738

Also they have a Nathaniel Negus born Thornham Magna and baptised 6 Dec 1739 at Bury St Edmunds, parents John and Bridget.

So they very likely did get married in Suffolk, in which case the marriage may not be so easy to find.

I've seen a Nathaniel in South Lopham.

There is a public tree on ancestry giving Bridget's maiden name as Syer and their marriage as 1734 Thornham, Suffolk (they don't say which Thornham). Doesn't give an exact date of the marriage but I'm guessing they mean the marriage which is on FamilySearch: John Nayes / Bridget Syer 24 Oct 1734 Great Thornham. I can imagine that the name Negus could be mistranscribed as Nayes.

I'll look again at this tomorrow, watching tv soon.