PDA

View Full Version : FMP Worldwide Help

Kit
02-03-13, 23:38
I don't like FMP.co.uk's search facility and I absolutely hate .com's search. Sadly I only have fmp.com now.

I am trying to search the new Yorkshire records for the surname of Eastwood.

Does anyone know how to do it?

Can you tell me step by step what to put where?

I only want parish records, not BMD indexes, or railway records but I can't work it out.

kiterunner
03-03-13, 09:43
You can still search on the UK site, Toni, then when you have some results you want to view, look for them on the US site using the full details. But I don't think the new Yorkshire records are even on the UK site yet, never mind the US site?

If they were on there (i.e. the US site), this would be how to get to them:
Search records - Search all records
Collections from - United Kingdom
Narrow your search results - Vital Records (Birth, Marriage and Death)
Record Set - then hopefully you will be able to click on the letter Y and it will say Yorkshire Parish Registers or something similar, when they have been added.
Oh, and at some point, put in the surname you are looking for and tick the "Name variants" box if you want.

Funnily enough, I don't think the UK site has the facility to choose which database in particular you want to search like the US site does when you choose to filter by "Record Set".

Durham Lady
03-03-13, 13:25
Kit if you want me to search the UK site let me have a full name or approx date as when I put Eastwood in the search box I got this message.

Your search has produced 3,078 results. The maximum number of results we display is 2,000. Please refine your search.

scuda
03-03-13, 13:40
Ah, now I wouldn't search like KiteRunner suggests!! On fmp I dislike starting with the all records search (even though I often do it that way on Ancestry), and normally start by selecting the record set I'm interested in. For Yorkshire baptisms, for example, I would do the following:

Select "Birth, marriage, death & parish records" from drop down menu below Search Records
Select "Parish Baptisms"
Then enter the name in the search boxes and select Yorkshire from the county list. You can be fairly specific with the year or place if you wish, and use variants or wildcards if you wish.

I'm not saying one way is better than another, just that it's worth experimenting to see which suits you.

scuda

kiterunner
03-03-13, 15:25
Select "Birth, marriage, death & parish records" from drop down menu below Search Records

I don't get that option on the US site, Scuda - the nearest one is Vital Records (Birth, Marriage, Death). The reason I said to do it the way I did was because I can't see a way to select UK until you have already chosen "Search All Records", apart from the search boxes on the home page which aren't very specific - or is there one I have missed?

But as I said before, you can search on the UK site without a sub anyway.

scuda
03-03-13, 15:47
I don't get that option on the US site, Scuda

Sorry, I thought you were describing the search on the UK site.

scuda

Kit
03-03-13, 19:53
Thanks for the offer Daphne. I have fmp.com so have access to the records but am having problems working out the search.

I'll try as Kate said and search the uk site then put specifics into .com site.

Kit
03-03-13, 19:54
Just re-read the news item - they will publish, not have published. No wonder I was having such problems.