PDA

View Full Version : FMP - those free credits useful at last

marquette
01-03-13, 10:00
Today I decided that I should use up those free FMP credits I have, otherwise they will end up expiring. I have had very little luck with finding much new information there and had half forgotten about them

I decided just to look in the newspapers - found a few notices which added a little for various people, but the big breakthrough came when I put in CHAPLIN and WOKINGHAM !

I discovered that 5g grandfather John Chaplin was the proprietor of the Rose Inn/Hotel in Wokingham and from there I found information on his daughter and son and grandchildren. It was just the kick along I needed for the Chaplins. And they lived not far from the Dog and Duck which was run by my husbands Langley family ! Very weird in some ways.

The best use I have had out of FMP yet.

Di

kiterunner
01-03-13, 10:22
That's good, Di.

vallee
01-03-13, 12:28
how wonderful I am not having a lot of luck on them and hadn't thought of your idea .

crawfie
01-03-13, 15:01
Ooh I know those places Di - I live in Wokingham! Son has been to both places many times, but the Rose is no longer a pub, it has become 2 restaurants. Let me know if you want any areas of Wokingham scouted out (including cemeteries!) Would be pleased to have a wander around them.

Linda

marquette
01-03-13, 21:23
Ooh I know those places Di - I live in Wokingham! Son has been to both places many times, but the Rose is no longer a pub, it has become 2 restaurants. Let me know if you want any areas of Wokingham scouted out (including cemeteries!) Would be pleased to have a wander around them.

Linda
Thanks Linda, I will keep it in mind.

I have been checking out the www for info on the pubs, both seeming to be there as long as records exist. The Langleys always lived near/in Emmbrook. I am stilll working on the Chaplins.

The rest of the Clans lived all over that area - Hurst, Bearwood, Twyford, Ruscombe, Waltham, Swallowfield, Sherfield, Winchester. I am saving up to visit !

Di

crawfie
01-03-13, 22:35
Yep - know them all well, apart from Ruscombe, then found it was next to Twyford, and have been through it many times without knowing. Winchester is a bit further away, down in Hampshire, but I go there every now and then as the Hampshire Record Office is there. One of my sons even went to Emmbrook school, next door to the Dog and Duck.

marquette
03-03-13, 00:58
Well, now I have just downloaded from TNA the Wills of John Chaplin and his wife Hannah, which confirmed that they are my 5xg grandparents - both mention their son William Chaplin and their daughter Elizabeth-Mary Chaplin.

John died in 1787 (between August when the will was witnessed and 14 Nov when it was proved) and Hannah in 1800.

Neither are included in the NBI-2, so I cannot find out if there is any indication of how old they are.
As they married in 1764, I would think they were born in the 1730s.

John, makes his executors - his good friends Giles Cotterell, of Warfield, maltster and Peter Body of Shinfield, Gentleman and leaves a bequest to his brother, James Chaplin and sister Anna Chaplin. (maybe sister-in-law, wife of James?)

He also requests to be "interred in the parish church of Wokingham aforesaid, under the stair ?) in the middle aisle therein, where my former wife Dorothy Chaplin was laid"

"and I also desire my present wife Hannah Chaplin to be buried by me when ever it shall please God to all her away if she approves of this"

So Linda, is there any chance you can wander by All Saints and see if they are still under the middle aisle ?

Is there any way to find out how old they were ?

Di

kiterunner
03-03-13, 09:35
Is there any way to find out how old they were ?

You could get a look up of the burial entries in the parish register and see if it states their ages? But there are transcriptions on FMP and no age is shown on there for John, so probably not in the parish register either. Hannah's age is shown as 74. You don't need to use credits / have a sub to FMP to see this as it comes up on the free search. You would only have to pay to view the full transcription.

marquette
03-03-13, 10:23
Hi Kite

I don't seem to ever have any luck finding burials or baptisms on FMP, must be something I am doing wrong.

So I guess there would not be any age for John recorded on anywhere.

If Hannah was 74 in 1800, that makes her born in 1726, and 38 when she married - as a second wife, not surprising, and perhaps why they only had two children.

So I am guessing John would be older, there are two baptised in Wokingham in 1722, within a month.

Had another look at FMP - and there is Dorothy buried in 1763 ! And now I can find all the burials that are missing from the NBI.

Now I have used up all my credits !!! Will have to wait for another free offer. I guess I can still do the lookups and wait to look at the transcriptions later.

Di

kiterunner
03-03-13, 10:32
Quite often all you get extra from looking at the transcriptions is the exact date of the burial.

crawfie
03-03-13, 13:10
Will try to get there to have a look around, hopefully this week and let you know what I find.

Linda

marquette
03-03-13, 19:47
Thanks Linda,

Whenever you have time.

I remember one WDYTYA episode where the guest found his ancestors buried in the aisle of the church and the inscription was just covered by a carpet.

Could I be so lucky, probably not.

Di