PDA

View Full Version : Ancestry help please.

HarrysMum
22-02-13, 06:50
I think my brain may have packed it in.

Can anybody see if there are any passenger lists FROM Australia for the
1850s/60s.
Thanks.

Shona
22-02-13, 07:08
Doesn't look like it. The only collection that I could find with departures doesn't cover that period. This is what it says:

New South Wales, Australia, Departing Crew and Passenger Lists, 1816-1825, 1898-1911
This data collection contains muster rolls, ship’s company and passenger lists for vessels departing from New South Wales (also from Sydney) between December 1816 and 1825 as well as 1898 to 1911. The records consist of both pre-printed and handwritten forms.

Would Australian archives hold the records you're after?

tenterfieldjulie
22-02-13, 07:13
The Archives Kit only holds the records for those people who were sponsored and convicts. Those who paid their own way are being indexed from newspapers shipping list .. some years are done, but I don't think they are online. Think you have to buy CDs. I'm trying to think of who was doing them .. Pastkeys? According to Cora Wbb 1842-1855 unassisted passenger lists are on Ancestry.com

Shona
22-02-13, 07:55
Found this...

Pre-1878
Unfortunately, it is difficult to trace both outward and inward passengers on board ships prior to 1878 since the survival of those records is sparse. Copies of passenger lists were customarily submitted at their final destination, and as a result, it may be worth contacting the local record office near the port of arrival (if known) to see if they can provide assistance.

HarrysMum
22-02-13, 08:17
Thanks. Yes I found those. Was just hoping I'd missed another collection somewhere.

I'd love to trawl through and see if anyone matches the description of my mssing fellow or even find when Julia Weaver went to Germany.

marquette
22-02-13, 08:24
Sometimes departing ships had their passengers listed in the newspaper - you could try Trove - maybe only the cabin passengers though.

Di

HarrysMum
22-02-13, 08:53
Ta......Trove doesn't like me lately, but I will try.