PDA

View Full Version : Crime, Prisons and Punishment Records - findmypast

kiterunner
20-02-13, 08:06
Currently covers 1817-1931, with more to be added:
http://www.findmypast.co.uk/content/news/crime-prisons-punishment

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/search/crime-prison-punishment/

But apparently the site is having trouble coping with the number of searches at the moment!

Kit
20-02-13, 10:38
My English criminals were earlier than that date. ;)

kiterunner
20-02-13, 11:32
The search is just messing up when I try it at the moment, when it isn't saying it's unavailable; it will say there are no results for a search and then come up with loads of results for the same search. And it doesn't have a box to search on "year of event" though I haven't managed to work out whether you can put the year into the keyword box yet.

ElizabethHerts
20-02-13, 11:36
I've got some hits, but the images aren't loading. Very frustrating.

ElizabethHerts
20-02-13, 11:38
I eat my words, I can now view my first image.

kiterunner
20-02-13, 13:03
It doesn't seem to be possible to search on the year of event by putting it into the keyword box.

Also the search requires a surname to be entered, so mistranscribed names may be hard to find.

I'm trying to find the records for my 4xg-uncle, William Bowskill junior, born about 1814 in Nottinghamshire, who was tried on the 19th (or possibly 9th) Mar 1848 for stabbing, cutting and wounding Charles Sewell (who married William's sister Sarah the following year). The crime took place at Carlton in Lindrick, Nottinghamshire. William didn't say anything in his defence at the trial and was ordered to be detained at Her Majesty's pleasure - he is at Broadmoor on the 1871 and 1881 censuses and his death registration in 1889 is in what would be the right district for Broadmoor. The trial was reported in Lloyds Weekly London Newspaper dated 19th Mar 1848 with William described as an "imbecile". There is an entry for William in the Criminal Registers on ancestry but I was hoping this database would give me more information. But I can't find him at all! I've also tried putting Charles Sewell's name in instead because the search tips say the victim is often listed too.

kiterunner
29-07-16, 10:18
The fmp crimial records have just been updated.

Phoenix
29-07-16, 12:24
Thanks, Kite. Only 17 references to my ancestor :eek:

maggie_4_7
29-07-16, 13:59
Ooh ooh photos too.

Thank you Kiterunner