PDA

View Full Version : Court Case

Gert in Oz
17-02-13, 04:56
Would i be able to get a copy of a court case from 1886 Crich Derbyshire ?

I have found a nice little scandal to do with my paternal great grandparents, a newspaper article says...."Most of the evidence was unfit for publication, some disgusting evidence being given with evident relish by both parties"

Would love to know the juicy bits, as this has renewed my interest in FH

Appreciate any help, thanks

ElizabethHerts
17-02-13, 07:50
I have found a newspaper article, Sylvia.
I don't know about the court case records though.

Gert in Oz
17-02-13, 08:34
Thanks Elizabeth, i had wondered for a few years as to why William Shipley and wife Alice were not living together after 30 odd years of marriage, i now have 2 newspaper articles from FMP, but would like the nitty gritty.

Shona
17-02-13, 08:34
National Archives guide on accessing court records.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/looking-for-person/criminal-trial-or-conviction.htm

Gert in Oz
17-02-13, 08:36
Thanks Shona, will have a look at that.

Uncle John
17-02-13, 20:01
Crich is a little village at the top of a hill. Its main claim to fame these days is a large tramway museum in a former quarry. It also has a war memorial to the Sherwood Foresters. The nearest decent size town is Matlock.

Gert in Oz
18-02-13, 00:32
Hi Uncle John

My dad was born in Crich Carr, i remember visiting family there and in Belper as a little girl.

Anstey Nomad
18-02-13, 18:57
*waves to Sylvia*

I was there not so long ago - dragged Mr Nomad up to the top of the Sherwood Foresters' War Memorial.

AN

Gert in Oz
19-02-13, 08:05
*waves back to AN*

I remember a lot of hills in the area.

Uncle John
19-02-13, 20:08
I remember going on a Merrymaker excursion train (remember them?) with my 2 daughters, both quite young, to visit the tram museum. We got off the train at Whatstandwell and walked up a ginormous hill. We have been back since but went by car.