PDA

View Full Version : John Morrin "The Laird of Laggan"

marquette
16-02-13, 01:47
John Morrin (Morine/Morin) must have been born about 1745, probably in Dunscore Parish, Dumfries, and most likely at the property of Laggan.

In 1788, the poet Robert Burns became the tenant farmer of the neighbouring property called Ellisland (see wikipaedia). In 1791 Burns wanted to leave farming, and his landlord, Patrick Miller, sold Ellisland to his neighbour John Morrin.

The family story is that Burns and Morrin disagreed over the value of some manure on the property, and Burns was miffed at Morrin's insistence that the buildings and fences be left in good order. Burns felt slighted after all the work he had put into the property but "in a fit of childish temper" Burns had his brother-in-law smash every piece of glass on which he had written (with a diamond stylus, no less). Morrin called on the "barleymen" (a court of neighbours for settling disputes) who visted Ellisland in January 1792 (in the depths of winter !).

They reported "we went this day and view the House upon Ellisland, lately possessed by Mr Robert Burns and find that the byre and stabe will take ten shillings for thatch and workmanship, the Barn thirteen shillings for thatch and workmanship, the dwelling house for Glass six shillings, for slate and workmanship five shillings. This we give as our opinion to the House in a tenantable condition".

Thirty four shillings would have been a sizable sum even for Burns.

Burns wrote the "Laird of Laggan" in 1793.

When Morine, deceas'd, to the Devil went down,
'Twas nothing would serve him but Satan's own crown;
"Thy fool's head," quoth Satan, "that crown shall wear never,
I grant thou'rt as wicked, but not quite so clever."

Sadly for Robert Burns, he died in 1796 and John Morine outlived him by 9 years.

John Morin died in 1805, and his son John Morin sold Ellisland but remained at Laggan.

John Morin's wife was Ann McMillan, but I don't know anything about her at all.
John Morrin Junior of Laggan was listed on the "Roll of Freeholders made up at the Michaelmas Head-court held at Dumfries on the 1st Oct 1811"

Link to his daughter Helen Morrin: http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=11982&highlight=helen+morrin

Shona
16-02-13, 11:34
I'm massively impressed, Marquette - having a poem written by Burns about your ancestor!

Here are a few bits and pieces for you.

John Morine married Ann McMillan in Dumfries on 26 June 1773.

John appears on the 1797-8 Farm Horse Tax Rolls - John Morine Esq of Ellisland. Here's the link:

http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/digital_volumes/image.php?view=full&book_id=6&image=E326%2F10%2F2%2F104

What I thought was interesting about this page for Dunscore parish is that further up the page there are two entries for a James Laurie and one for John McMillan.

Other Morines on the tax roll in Dunscore were:
Jas Morine, Netherstown
David Morine, Shellingland

There were also Morines in the parish of Holywood, including one named William at Morrineton.

When I was looking at births for John Morine, there were quite a few, but one of the best fits was John, baptised on 27 June 1751 in Dunscore parish to William Morine.

Shona
16-02-13, 12:15
The Rev Richard Simpson in his book Ellisland, quotes Burns's brother-in-law, Adam Armour, as telling 'a curious story about the fate of the window panes at Ellisland on which some of the poet's verses had been engraved'. On the day Burns moved, he sent Armour from Dumfries (he had been helping the Burns family to remove) back to Ellisland to smash every pane of glass which carried Burns's handwriting. According to Armour, these instructions were carried out faithfully, Burns paid him six shillings.

marquette
16-02-13, 21:35
Thanks Shona for all that

I was chuffed to think that we have a connection to someone "famous", having a poem written about him, but I hope he wasn't as bad as Burns depicted him !

I had decided that John Morrin's father was probably William. and Ann's father was likely John, as the IGI shows entries for their children as John, Helen and William.

I am glad Adam Armour confirms the story about the window panes - so another 6 shillings, totally 40 shillings when he left Ellisland - I guess he thought it was cheap enough to get out of the lease.

So many of the names in the Tax Roll are connected to the family - James Laurie of Millganton married Helen Morrin, the Kerrs, Bars and Crosbies also married into the family.

I hope I can research a bit about them now !

Diane