PDA

View Full Version : Help finding Flora's parents, please

Shona
13-02-13, 18:28
Flora McLean married Duncan McNair in Killean parish, Kintyre, Argyll, Scotland, on 29 June 1803.

They had the following children in the parish:
1 Barbra, 1804
2 Susanna, 1806
3 James, 1808
4 Lachlane, 1811
5 Mary, 1813
6 Betsy, 1815
7 John, 1818
8 Donald, 1826

In 1841, the family were at Mid Muasdale, Killean parish:
- Duncan McNair, 60, hand loom weaver
- Flora McNair, 60
- James McNair, 30
- Betsy McNair, 24
- Donald McNair, 14
- Lauchlan McNair, 2
- John McArthur, 65, hand loom weaver
- Archibald McEachen, 8

Two-year-old Lauchlan, above, is the son of James McNair and Flora McCorquodale.

I'm not sure who Archibald is, but McEachen (and variants) was prevalent in Kintyre, so Archibald could be another grandchild of Duncan and Flora McNair.

Duncan and Flora and most of their children emigrated to Canada - they appear on the census records in Ontario from 1852. Flora died in Canada after 1861.

I'm struggling to find out when and where Flora McLean was born and who her parents were.

All help appreciated.

kiterunner
13-02-13, 18:30
What were Duncan's parents' names, please, Shona, if you have them? It often helps with Scottish families if you have the names of one spouse's parents because then you can work out what the other ones should be called from the names of the children, as I'm sure you've found before.

Shona
13-02-13, 18:36
Duncan's parents were James McNair and Susan Martin.

I've got them on the Duke of Argyll's 1792 census at Mid Kilmory, Killean parish:
- James McNair, 57
- Susan Martin, 50
- Duncan McNair, 13
- Janet McNair, 8
- Susan McNair, 6
- James McNair, 2

kiterunner
13-02-13, 18:42
So Flora's parents could maybe be called Lachlane and Barbara.

kiterunner
13-02-13, 18:49
Hmm, FamilySearch has a Flory Ann Mclean christened at Tyree, Argyll, 3 Jun 1785, parents Lachlan Mclean and Hannah Barbara Cotnam. (Now why does that make me think of cartoons?!) A possible?

kiterunner
13-02-13, 19:00
Or maybe her parents are Lachlan McLean and Barbara Livingstone who had a son Malcolm baptised in 1792 at Killean and Kilchenzie (from FamilySearch) - at least they lived in the right place! I'll see if I can find any more children of that couple.
Edit - yes, an Elizabeth born 23 Apr 1786 Killean and Kilchenzie. Not found a Flora yet, though.

Shona
13-02-13, 19:20
Hmm, FamilySearch has a Flory Ann Mclean christened at Tyree, Argyll, 3 Jun 1785, parents Lachlan Mclean and Hannah Barbara Cotnam. (Now why does that make me think of cartoons?!) A possible?

:d *seaches for marriages between Flints and Stones*

kiterunner
13-02-13, 19:21
I don't suppose there is any information on Duncan and Flora's marriage or their children's baptisms to help at all?

Shona
13-02-13, 19:39
No - Killean baptisms are short on details.

Looking at Flora and Duncan's children's families to see if that helps.

Betsy married Archibald Milloy.

Children:
- Flora (after Betsy's mum)
- Archibald (after Dad)
- Edward (Archibald's father)
- Mary (Archibald's grandmother or ????)
- Elizabeth (after Mum)
- Duncan (Flora's father)
- John (Archibald's grandfather)
- Barbra (Archibald's grandfather - John Milloy - had a daughter named Barbara)

Flora's daughter, Susanna, had a son named John.

Flora's son, James, had children named Flora, William, John, James and Duncan.

kiterunner
13-02-13, 22:06
There are a couple of public trees on ancestry with parents for Flora - one says Allan McLean and Flora McLean, and the other says Lachlan McLean and Flora McFarland, but neither of them looks very accurate.