PDA

View Full Version : if anyone has a little time this morning

garstonite
12-02-13, 09:11
Hiya...my very good friends surname is
IERSTON
He has asked me if I could find out which country this name originates from ...I have been on freebmd and the first registration in this country is 1867...so...the 1871 census should have Ierston parents and which country they are from ...
familysearch.org seems to be down at the moment , so I was wondering if anyone has any free time this morning could they have a look in Birmingham for Ierston in 1871 census and post which country the parents are from
thank you
allan:)

kiterunner
12-02-13, 09:18
I'm a bit confused, Allan - the 1867 and 1868 births are in Lambeth, in London, then the first Birmingham birth on FreeBMD is 1877. I'll have a look for both, though.

Merry
12-02-13, 09:19
The father of Charles Joseph is Thomas from Shiplake Oxfordshire. He was born about 1844 and his surname is spelled Ireston on the 1881 census.

Merry
12-02-13, 09:22
There's some confusion on FreeBMD about the spelling, but this is the transcription:

Births Sep 1845 Ireston Thomas Henley 16 69

Merry
12-02-13, 09:24
Thomas's father Joseph (b abt 1814) is from Caversham in Oxfordshire where my Wells are from. Maybe I'm related to your friend?!! lol

kiterunner
12-02-13, 09:26
Oh, I see - they moved from London to Birmingham between 1868 and about 1872. (Not found them in 1871 yet)

Merry
12-02-13, 09:26
I have a CD of the PRs for Caversham should your friend need anything.

BTW, it's not in Oxfordshire now, was moved to Berkshire!

garstonite
12-02-13, 09:27
Sincere apologies...the first are in Lambeth ...then the next are Birmingham ...I have just been on GR and there are Ierston b 1844 in Warwickshire...a bit confusing ...he says he seems to remember someone saying it may come from the Isle of Man ...but I am not convinced at all about that origin ...
allan

garstonite
12-02-13, 09:29
Thomas's father Joseph (b abt 1814) is from Caversham in Oxfordshire where my Wells are from. Maybe I'm related to your friend?!! lol
Do you have a baldy head and long sideburns Merry ?...if so ,you might look like him ...lol

kiterunner
12-02-13, 09:29
By the way, FamilySearch is working o.k. for me, Allan - are you still having trouble with it? If so, you could try using a different browser.

kiterunner
12-02-13, 09:31
FamilySearch has a Joseph Irstone buried 4 Dec 1816 Wantage, Berkshire, so that looks likely to be another variant of the surname.

Merry
12-02-13, 09:32
Do you have a baldy head and long sideburns Merry ?...if so ,you might look like him ...lol

Well, obviously I do shave the sideburns, but I was only talking to a friend about thinning hair last Friday, so give it a bit more time and I may get there!

garstonite
12-02-13, 09:34
By the way, FamilySearch is working o.k. for me, Allan - are you still having trouble with it? If so, you could try using a different browser.
Don`t laugh...is the browser Yahoo my homepage ?...I just click on the little black arrow to the right of the website box - and click on www.familysearch.org
allan

kiterunner
12-02-13, 09:35
No, it's something like Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, or Google Chrome. I was having trouble with FamilySearch a week or two ago and I had to keep switching browsers and logging in, but I eventually deleted my temporary internet files etc and it has worked o.k. for me since then *crosses fingers*

garstonite
12-02-13, 09:43
I have just been on a site for Surname origin research...it`s not
Ierston - but
Ireton - from the Manor in Derbyshire ...meaning on the hill ..
do you both think this may be Ierston origin ??
allan

Shona
12-02-13, 09:52
1851 census - Shiplake
Joseph Ireston, 39, ag lab, b Caversham
Elizabeth, 41, b Caversham
John, son, 19, ag lab, b Henley
Emma, dau, 11, b Shiplake
Sarah, dau, 9, b Shiplake
Thomas, dau, 5, b Shiplake

1841 census - Shiplake
Joseph Ireston, 25, ag lab
Elizabeth, 25
John, 9
Ellen, 6
Ann, 4
Emma, 2

Merry
12-02-13, 10:03
I have just been on a site for Surname origin research...it`s not
Ierston - but
Ireton - from the Manor in Derbyshire ...meaning on the hill ..
do you both think this may be Ierston origin ??
allan

I'd be doubtful!

Ton at the end seems to refer to old English tun which means farm (so that bit is going to come from anywhere!). If it's Ire rather than Ier, then I'd imaging that is associated with the word iron. So, again not apparently associated with a particular geographical place.

garstonite
12-02-13, 10:13
Thanks girls...moved house 2nd / 3rd feb weekend - so have to go soon to put up curtain rails.Anns mad busy on sewing machine making curtains..thanks for all your help...I will look in later ...
cheers
allan

Shona
12-02-13, 10:25
*throws pebble into pond*

The name is rare in England - even including the variant spellings. There just don't seem to be many older records.

Sooooo, was the name originally English? I've come across Erston and variants in Scotland, particularly Renfrewshire and Ayrshire.

Also, when I see a 'ston' name ending, I don't discount 'stein' as a variant suffix, eg, Irestein/Erstein, etc.

I know Iredale as a name in t'north - Old Norse for valley of the Irish. Iredale = farm of the Irish?

*takes cover*

kiterunner
12-02-13, 10:45
There is a couple James and Dinah Irestone having children baptised in the 1780's at Lambourn, Berkshire, including a Joseph in 1787, so they are probably ancestors or relatives of the later Joseph.

Merry
12-02-13, 10:45
1841 census - Shiplake
Joseph Ireston, 25, ag lab
Elizabeth, 25
John, 9
Ellen, 6
Ann, 4
Emma, 2

I checked my CD....Ann was bap at Caversham 12th Feb 1837, dau of Joseph and Elizabeth, shepherd of Cane End. (Surname transcribed as Irestone)

This is the only baptism entry I can see for their surname. They did also witness a wedding:

1838 6 May IVES Ephraim (X) full Bach Labourer Caversham, father IVES William, Labourer
BUCKNER Mary Ann full Spin ------ Caversham, father MASKELL Daniel, Labourer
Wits:Joseph IRESTONE (X), Elizabeth IRESTONE (X) Banns

Note in that marriage the bride's father has a different surname despite her being a spinster. A Maskell turns up again as a witness at Joseph and Elizabeth's marriage:

5th Jan 1834 marriage by banns, both OTP, Joseph Ireston (transcribed as Preston on my CD, but Ireston on the IGI) and Elizabeth Buckner. Witnesses Daniel Maskell X and Ann Buckner. Their condition at marriage is not stated.

kiterunner
12-02-13, 10:49
Oh, FamilySearch has a marriage between James Ireton and Dynah Shift 1 Jun 1773 at Lambourne, Berkshire. That looks to be them (i.e. the couple I mentioned in post #20). Then the first few children of the couple (in the 1770's) are listed as Ireton, before the Irestone ones in the 1780's.

Merry
12-02-13, 10:50
I went through all the baps 1809-1816 looking at all the Josephs to see if his baptism had been badly mistranscribed, but couldn't see anything likely.

Merry
12-02-13, 10:54
There's a smattering of Iretons in Notts and Derbyshire and Yorkshire in the 1500s. It is the sort of name that might easily get mistranscribed though.

kiterunner
12-02-13, 10:57
There is an old Rootschat thread which has a burial for a James Ireston at Caversham in 1849 age 77, and they think he is probably the one born in Lambourn in 1773 (i.e. the son of James and Dinah):

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,466798.0.html

Shona
12-02-13, 11:11
There's a smattering of Iretons in Notts and Derbyshire and Yorkshire in the 1500s. It is the sort of name that might easily get mistranscribed though. Lots more Iretons than Irestons. A Henry Ireton married Oliver Cromwell's daughter, Bridget. No link, though, as the male line dies out.

kiterunner
12-02-13, 11:14
Ancestry has a James Isron baptised 5 Nov 1738 at Kintbury, Berkshire, son of Roger and Mary. (from the England & Wales Christening Records.) Then going back to FamilySearch with that, there are quite a few children of that couple at Kintbury all with the surname Isron, and a marriage at Kintbury 5 Oct 1735 between "Roger J..ron" and Mary Compton. But they also have this marriage listed as Roger Gater and Mary Compton. Of course these people may not be connected to the Ir(e)(s)ton(e) family but I thought I would post it all up to save finding it again!

Also, now I have looked at the map to see where these places are, I realise they are close to Wiltshire and Hampshire. I think I did come across a mention of Hampshire before - will see if I can find it again in case it was a marriage licence or banns. Edit - yes, FamilySearch had the James Ireton / Dinah Shiff marriage listed as 1 Jun 1773 Lambourne, Berkshire, and 2 Jun 1773 in Hampshire, but there are no more details.

Shona
12-02-13, 11:16
There's a smattering of Iretons in Notts and Derbyshire and Yorkshire in the 1500s. It is the sort of name that might easily get mistranscribed though.

My book of British Place names mentions a places called Irton (N Yorkshire) and Kirk Ireton (Derbyshire) - Norse-Celtic hybrid name meaning farm/settlement of the Irish.

kiterunner
12-02-13, 11:22
FamilySearch has a few Isrons / Isrens / Izrons in Hampshire, going as far back as 1589 (that one is in Andover which is not far from Berkshire.)

kiterunner
12-02-13, 11:25
Sorry, I forgot to mention before that there is a public tree on ancestry which has Joseph Ierston born 1845 Shiplake as the son of James Ireston born about 1776 and Sarah Allaway, with James being the son of James Ireston and Dinah Stiffe. It has James sr's parents as John and Grace. But it doesn't list sources.

garstonite
12-02-13, 12:07
thank you all so much...so it does look to be an English surname doesn`t it ?...what do you all think ?
allan

kiterunner
12-02-13, 12:43
It looks that way, Allan.

garstonite
12-02-13, 12:52
Thank you all very much ....appreciate all your help
allan

Shona
12-02-13, 12:53
Here's some more info on the Ierstone/Ireston family:

http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/b/a/d/Dai-Badger/WEBSITE-0001/UHP-0143.html

And here are some photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/87502497@N06/8064841143/in/set-72157631589663917

Shona
12-02-13, 13:58
Sorry, I forgot to mention before that there is a public tree on ancestry which has Joseph Ierston born 1845 Shiplake as the son of James Ireston born about 1776 and Sarah Allaway, with James being the son of James Ireston and Dinah Stiffe. It has James sr's parents as John and Grace. But it doesn't list sources.

FMP: There's a Sarah Ireston buried on 16 March 1828, St Peter, Caversham, age 54. Address: Cane End.

Merry
12-02-13, 14:40
FMP: There's a Sarah Ireston buried on 16 March 1828, St Peter, Caversham, age 54. Address: Cane End.

lol I wonder what my CD calls her then?!!

*goes to look*

*tuts*

That one is down as Preston too! No wonder I didn't see it in the index! I've just double checked the baptism index under P but no Josephs :(

Shona
12-02-13, 15:10
lol I wonder what my CD calls her then?!!

*goes to look*

*tuts*

That one is down as Preston too! No wonder I didn't see it in the index! I've just double checked the baptism index under P but no Josephs :(

I noticed a few Irestons mistranscribed as Reston and Preston on Ancestry.

Merry
12-02-13, 16:11
Reston

No, no, no........I have put the CD away and closed down the computer with the CD drive and come to sit in the warm by the fire....I don't want to know what other letters I should have looked at!! :mad::d

kiterunner
12-02-13, 16:26
If you search the newspapers on FMP for the name Ireston, you get hundreds of mistranscribed Prestons!