PDA

View Full Version : Richard and Ann Rose?

ElizabethHerts
11-02-13, 13:17
Ann Rose, parents Thomas and Susannah Rose, was born on 3rd April 1776 at Nether Winchendon, Bucks.

She married Richard Rose, junior, at Nether Winchendon on 20th June 1801.
I think this is her cousin Richard Rose, the son of Richard Rose, her father's younger brother. Richard junior was baptized on 5th February 1778 at Ashendon, BUcks.

The only other thing I have been able to discover about this couple is what is written on the memorial inside the church at Nether Winchendon:

The said Thomas ROSE died ye 3rd February 1809, Aged
68 Years & his Remains are deposited in the same Vault
All the Sons of the said Thomas and Susannah
namely Thomas, John, Richard, William and Joseph
and their fourth and youngest Daughter Anne who
married Mr. Richard ROSE Junr. survive them

Anne Youngest Daughter of the late
Thomas and Susannah ROSE
and wife of Richard ROSE Junr.
Died 12th November 1816 Aged 40 Years
William Second Son of the said
Richard and Ann ROSE
Died 12th August 1804 Aged 6 months

However, I can't find where Anne and Richard Rose lived or the baptism of the William who died or any other children.

It doesn't help that there are lots of other RIchard Roses in the family!

kiterunner
11-02-13, 13:51
I'm sure you know this already, but FamilySearch has records for Lower Winchendon which seems to be the same place as Nether Winchendon, but it doesn't seem to have Richard, Ann and William among them.

kiterunner
11-02-13, 13:53
TNA has the will of Thomas Rose, Gentleman of Nether Winchendon, 27 Jul 1809. Maybe that will say where Richard and Ann lived, or name their children?
Edit - never mind, I see you have it already. Didn't it mention them?

ElizabethHerts
11-02-13, 13:54
Thanks, Kate, yes I have seen the records for Lower/Nether Winchendon.

Richard Rose is mentioned in the will of his father, proved in 1831, but it is a very brief,
succint will.

".... but as to all the rest and residue of my Estates and Property both real and personal and all the Property and Estate of what Nature or tenure so ever of which I have any power of disposal I give devise bequeath and appoint the same and every part thereof respectively unto and to the use of my younger Son Richard Rose his Heirs Executors Administrators and Assigns absolutely subject to the payment of my debts and funeral and testamentary expenses and of the aforesaid Legacy and I appoint him my said son Richard Rose sole Executor of this my last Will and Testament
In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this tenth day of May 1827."

There was an elder brother, Thomas Bailey Rose, but his father had already set him up in a farm, which is why he didn't get much under the will.

I wonder if Richard Rose junior remarried after Anne died in 1816.

ElizabethHerts
11-02-13, 13:59
TNA has the will of Thomas Rose, Gentleman of Nether Winchendon, 27 Jul 1809. Maybe that will say where Richard and Ann lived, or name their children?

Kate, I have the will and have transcribed it. It mentions Anne but not her marital status or husband's name which is annoying. She gets £50 and then another £800.

All her sisters are deceased and he mentions their children in detail as he provides for them instead of their mothers. However, he doesn't mention their names except for the three Parrott chidlren - from one of whom I'm descended.

ElizabethHerts
11-02-13, 15:59
My theory about their relationship was correct, as I just found this amongst the stuff I photographed at the RO:

Marriage Bonds and Allegations
Rose, Richard, jun, farmer, of Pollicott, in par. of Ashendon
Rose, Ann, of Lower Winchendon
19th June 1801 At Lower Winchendon

kiterunner
11-02-13, 16:49
The UK Poll Books and Electoral Registers on ancestry have entries for Richard Rose and Richard Rose junior, both of Pollicott, in 1804 (listed under Cuddington).
UK Poll Books (http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?htx=View&r=5538&dbid=2410&iid=32969_606246_1828-00020&fn=Richard&ln=Rose&st=d&ssrc=&pid=2706253)

ElizabethHerts
11-02-13, 17:00
Thanks! I think I must have seen something similar a few weeks back but I didn't make a note of it. There were at least 2 sons of Richard and Ann, one before William and William himself (1804) and probably other children after them, but I can't find any baptisms.

Cuddington has Lower Winchendon between it and Ashendon. Knowing how many Rose families there are in Bucks, I'd better check that it's not another Richard Rose and his son. I know there was a separate Rose family there.

Edit - Of course, it must be them as it says Pollicott! I should have looked at the image properly - thanks, Kate.
(I'm distracted as I'm trying to cook dinner at the same time!)

ElizabethHerts
11-02-13, 17:16
Hmm, I wonder if this could be Richard Rose junior:

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/records/newspapers/view/BL/0000270/18330420/025/0001?&firstName=&lastName=&county=ALL&keywords=%22Richard%20Rose%22%20and%20%22Ashendon% 22&includeVariants=true&pageNumber=1&_zga_s=1

It is about a Richard Rose leaving a farm at Chilton (next parish to Ashendon) and the sale of his stock. If it is him, the man conducting the auction would be his brother-in-law from his marriage to Anne - William Rose was the auctioneer at Haddenham.

His father's will was proved in 1831.

ElizabethHerts
11-02-13, 17:24
Now I'm doing better:

Marriages (1829)
April 15th, at Woodbridge, Suffolk, John, eldest son of Richard Rose, junior, Esq. of Chilton, Bucks. to Anna, eldest daughter of the late John Clarkson, Esq., of Woodbridge.

ElizabethHerts
11-02-13, 17:32
Confirmation!

Bucks Herald
Saturday 15 May 1841

Deaths
Yesterday, at Long Crendon, Mr. Richard Rose, late of Chilton, aged 63 years.

Spot on, he was baptised in 1778.

kiterunner
11-02-13, 18:22
Oh, that's good, Elizabeth.

ElizabethHerts
11-02-13, 18:34
Kate, I have found the son John who married Anna Clarkson.

http://www.oocities.org/evesfam/willspage12.htm

They have got the year of death wrong by transposing numbers - he died in 1837 and not 1873!

There were two children - Joseph John Clarkson Rose and Emma Louisa Ann Rose. After John's death, Anna married Michael J Doyle and is with him with the children on the 1851 Census.

John Rose reportedly had other siblings (inferred from the marriage announcement). However, I don't know their names.

A trip to the RO at Aylesbury might help as the records for Chilton don't appear to be online.

ElizabethHerts
11-02-13, 18:36
I should have mentioned - John was a surgeon!

ElizabethHerts
11-02-13, 18:37
Oh dear, another will I could be tempted by:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/details/D291206?descriptiontype=Full&ref=PROB+11/1894/162

Reference:PROB 11/1894/162
Description: Will of John Rose, Surgeon of Ramsgate , Kent
Date: 04 April 1838
Held by: The National Archives, Kew
Legal status: Public Record

tenterfieldjulie
11-02-13, 20:47
You are doing well Liza:D .. partly due to the person getting rid of the wretched ivy:d lol

ElizabethHerts
11-02-13, 20:52
You are doing well Liza:D .. partly due to the person getting rid of the wretched ivy:d lol

Trouble is I don't know when to stop - this family are endless and marry all the local neighbours! It could be a really complicated tree.

The local history expert who was on holiday is now back and he should be contacting me about the tomb soon. The reporter is wondering whether there is mileage for another article. I could write a book!:d

tenterfieldjulie
11-02-13, 21:19
The Rose Tree lol

ElizabethHerts
11-02-13, 21:21
The Rose Tree lol

with Parrotts perched in it! :d

tenterfieldjulie
11-02-13, 21:23
Eating ivy!!

ElizabethHerts
11-02-13, 21:28
:D

THat would make a good coat of arms!

Janet
12-02-13, 04:15
lol you two :d

tenterfieldjulie
12-02-13, 04:28
Liza inspires me Janet lol .. I am soo looking forward to my next foray to UK.. but so much to do in the meantime .. I'd better go for my walk, or I won't be going anywhere lol Cheers. Julie