PDA

View Full Version : James Marshall

kiterunner
08-02-13, 08:48
Name - "official" name and what they were known as James Marshall
Date and place of birth 1746 Birkdale, Lancashire
Names of parents John Marshall and Anne nee Soar
Date and place of baptism - if applicable 11 May 1746 St Cuthbert's, North Meols, Lancashire
Details of each of his or her marriages - if any 21 Jul 1766 at St Cuthbert's North Meols to Ellen Bibby
Occupation(s) - if any Not found
Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!). Birkdale, Lancashire
Date, place and cause of death 1838 Birkdale, Lancashire, not got cause
Date and place of burial. 13 Feb 1838 St Cuthbert's, North Meols, Lancashire
Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable Not found
Memorial inscription - if any Not found

James's mother Anne was convicted of stealing 22 shillings at the 1746 Lent sessions in Lancaster, and sentenced to 7 years transportation to America which was deferred until after the birth of her baby (James). On his baptism it says "son of John Marshall and Anne his wife transported", so she must have been transported when he was a very young baby. It surprises me that he survived!

Link to son's thread:
Joseph Marshall (http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/Forum/showthread.php?t=11873)

kiterunner
08-02-13, 08:53
I can't find an entry for him on the Lancashire Will Search or the Index to Death Duty Registers for 1838, so there is probably no will / admon.

kiterunner
08-02-13, 09:00
There is a possible remarriage for James 12 Sep 1774 at St Cuthbert's, North Meols - James Marshall, husbandman, and Jane Rymer. One of their children is an Ellen born 1791, and my James had a daughter Ellen from his first marriage who died in 1789 so they could have reused the name. None of the other children of James and Jane share a name with the children of James and Ellen. Also James and Jane lived in Birkdale, from their children's baptisms, so it looks likely to be the same James but I need to prove it really before adding all that to my tree.