PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Parrott and his will?

ElizabethHerts
05-02-13, 15:19
I am transcribing the will of Michael Parrott from the National Archives website. It was proved in 1817. He lived at Woodham in the parish of Waddesdon, Bucks and was born at Wotton Underwood.

It is an interesting will, and a passage here has caught my attention:

"Whereas I have lately contracted to purchase from the Executors under the will of my late Brother Thomas Parrott a messuage or tenement and divers lands with the appurts situate at Marsh Gibbon in the said County of Bucks" .

For quick reference, the following link gives an overview of the family, but I haven't checked all the details.
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=hrohrer&id=I016881

Michael was the son of Michael Parrott, and I have lots of siblings for him, but I haven't found a brother called Thomas for him. Nor can I find a will for him at Bucks. nor on the NA website.

What am I missing??
At first I thought perhaps this will was for another Michael Parrott, but the wife is named as Ann and he names :

my dear Children William Susannah Ann Mary Ruth and Joseph

Merry
05-02-13, 15:26
Have you eliminated this one?

Will of Thomas Parrott, Gentleman of Wootton Underwood , Buckinghamshire

Prerogative Court of Canterbury and related Probate Jurisdictions: Will Registers. Will of Thomas Parrott, Gentleman of Wootton Underwood , Buckinghamshire.
Collection: Records of the Prerogative Court of Canterbury
Date range: 13 May 1812 - 13 May 1812
Reference:PROB 11/1533/343
Subjects:Wills and probate

ElizabethHerts
05-02-13, 15:34
Dooh!

Thank you, Merry.
I can't figure out why his baptism is missing.

I looked at that at lunchtime!! I meant to look at it further.

I told you I'm confused today! Everyone has been ill - elder daughter had a day of vomiting last week, OH went down with vomiting on Friday night, my sore throat is now a full-blown cold and younger daughter phoned today off sick and probably has food poisoning (I won't describe her very nasty symptons, but she isn't at all well).

Merry
05-02-13, 15:34
Probate granted to Michael Parrott according to the death duty register on FMP :)

Merry
05-02-13, 15:36
Dooh!

Thank you, Merry.
I can't figure out why his baptism is missing.

I looked at that at lunchtime!! I meant to look at it further.

I told you I'm confused today! Everyone has been ill - elder daughter had a day of vomiting last week, OH went down with vomiting on Friday night, my sore throat is now a full-blown cold and younger daughter phoned today off sick and probably has food poisoning (I won't describe her very nasty symptons, but she isn't at all well).

How horrible - you should be getting some rest.

Maybe the vicar just forgot to write down the baptism, esp if it was a private one. If you are lucky you should be able to get his age at burial. Do you have a gap in the children for him?

ElizabethHerts
05-02-13, 15:37
Michael's will:

this my last Will and Testament contained in six sheets of paper set my hand and to this sixth and last Sheet thereof my hand and seal this 24th day of July in the Year of our Lord 1813

so it fits in! Thank you, Merry!

Merry
05-02-13, 15:38
Yeh!!

Janet
05-02-13, 15:42
Advertisements & Notices .
The Morning Chronicle (London, England), Friday, June 18, 1819; Issue 15642.

http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u533/pix4janet/pix%20to%20post/ThomasParrott_zpscfcd2df1.jpg

Looks like they were looking for him too, Elizabeth.

Do you have access to the Gale press? I got a lot of hits from a simple search for Thomas Parrott.

ElizabethHerts
05-02-13, 15:49
Thanks, Janet, this is mentioned in the will, and I only found it earlier today.

The will states:
"and whereas my dear Son Thomas Parrott went abroad many years since and I not having heard of him for upwards of fifteen years last past I am led to suppose that he is dead but being willing to make some provision for him and his Issue (if any) in Case it should within the time hereinafter limited appear that he is living or that he is dead leaving Heirs... "

"I direct that my said Trustees shall as soon as conveniently may be after my decease cause an advertisement to be inserted in the London Gazette and in such other newspapers and circulated in such other manner and reported as often as my said Trustees shall think proper...."

It's very sad.

The Thomas Parrott who was eluding me was Michael Parrott's brother, and it seems the son Thomas who emigrated (to Jamaica?) might have been named after him.

ElizabethHerts
05-02-13, 15:51
How horrible - you should be getting some rest.

Maybe the vicar just forgot to write down the baptism, esp if it was a private one. If you are lucky you should be able to get his age at burial. Do you have a gap in the children for him?

There's a gap between 1755 and 1760, Janet!

ElizabethHerts
05-02-13, 15:52
Probate granted to Michael Parrott according to the death duty register on FMP :)

Fantastic!

ElizabethHerts
05-02-13, 15:53
My bill for wills since Christmas has been rather high.

We're going back to Aylesbury in a couple of weeks so I'll have to look at the PR.

Janet
05-02-13, 15:59
Oops. Two different people, sorry. Moving too fast! I was stealing time from my chores, so I'd best get moving. :o

ElizabethHerts
05-02-13, 16:12
Thanks for your interest and help, Janet - it's always appreciated.

Merry
05-02-13, 16:25
How many Thomas Parrots were bap around the same time in Wotton Underwood? I'm guessing the missing man is the son of Michael and Ann, bap 1778. There's a Thomas Parrott b abt 1777 in the workhouse at Aylesbury in 1851. He's born in the same village.

EDIT - bother, that might be Thomas Bailey Parrott, son of Wm and Ann :(

ElizabethHerts
05-02-13, 16:27
There are Parrotts everywhere in the Aylesbury area! They all seem to be related, too!