PDA

View Full Version : Visitors to GF

Shona
02-02-13, 18:26
GF is a treaure chest packed full of family history and research contributed by skilled people passionate about genealogy.

I want to thank everyone involved for the pleasure the site has provided me since I joined a short while ago. There's an even bigger thank you for all the help that members have given me in my own research.

The info on GF can be picked up by search engines and I'm sure that people have seized upon info on the site to support their own family history explorations.

I wonder if there is any way that GF could find out who these people are? There always seem to be a lot of guests viewing info. Perhaps there could be a section headed: 'Have you discovered your ancestors on GF? Tell us your stories.' Or perhaps a Vistor's Book where comments can be left.

Any thoughts?

kiterunner
02-02-13, 18:39
I think most of the "visitors" are search-engine-bots, Shona. :o

Shona
02-02-13, 18:57
I think most of the "visitors" are search-engine-bots, Shona. :o What a shame. I hope there are some real visitors, too.

Janet
03-02-13, 01:21
I know there are real visitors, Shona, because I was one. Then, one fine day, joining GF simply became a necessity. I don't think that any such well-meaning attempt to draw me in would have made it happen any sooner, and quite possibly the opposite. I think every person joins for their own reasons in their own time, and if you ask me the result is a really great self-selected bunch of folks. I wouldn't want to tamper too much with a winning formula. :)

tenterfieldjulie
03-02-13, 03:58
Chortles .. I know what you mean Janet .. I!! (some of you won't believe it) was rather shy about the thought of chatting to strangers .. and Libby said they are such a great bunch of people and so helpful so you should join ... and still I dragged my heels, until one day, after she'd posted a query for me, I decided to bite the bullet ... and (some of you probably think) I've not drawn breath since .. but I've found out so much about my ancestors and the times they lived in, had lots of interesting discussions and also met so many lovely people, who are now firm friends .. I also joined another forum at the same time, but have hardly been on there, although one lady was extremely helpful. Now when I read what I wrote in those early days (which weren't all that long ago) I'm taken back that I didn't understand basic things and everyone was so patient and didn't make me feel a fool. So if there is anyone out there reading this who is shy or afraid of showing their ignorance .. dive in you will get so much help from so many great people.

Jill
03-02-13, 11:49
I've got a new relative via here the "Take One etc" thread who has given me fresh leads and I've just bought his booklet on the chapel where aour mutual ancestors were baptised.

I'm not the most prolific poster but GF has been invaluable, and so many of you have given me help & encouragement.

JohnS
03-02-13, 20:24
I first used the site as a visitor after Googling an ancestors' name and finding a link that looked promising which brought me here.

Having read the link and found it to be most relevant and beneficial, I started probing around the site finding more and more relevant stuff. Also, the general tips from resarchers with so much experience have made my own tasks so much easier and fruitful. So, it was a no-brainer to join the site.

The link I first followed enabled me contact the poster and I would like to publically thank Margaret in Burton for all the help (and patience) she has given me and enabled me to make deeper inroads into my ancestry than I had imagined.

Margaret in Burton
04-02-13, 08:40
Aw thanks John.