PDA

View Full Version : Query on a Marriage Help Please

vallee
30-01-13, 20:49
I wont put the names on here although they are deceased but may have living children, so will make up names.
I have a woman marrying in 1944 Camberwell to say a Gordon Brown
Then have a John Green in 1949 marrying the same woman also in Camberwell but it says marrying Brown or her maiden name say Black???
She is in the electoral role in 1947 and 1948 under the surname Brown ???
What do you make of it thanks

Merry
30-01-13, 21:15
I would imagine she was either divorced or widowed from Mr Brown. If she doesn't show on the e-rolls with Mr Brown in 1947/8 then possibly they were already divorced/separated or he was already dead. Then she remarried in 1949.

I think I may have missed what you were thinkig was odd about it. I can't see what is strange??

vallee
30-01-13, 21:26
why would the second marriage say her surname is an either or ??? Merry , surely it would say her first husbands surname? unless of course they had divorced I suppose

Thanks

Phoenix
30-01-13, 21:38
You often find divorcees showing up twice in the indexes, under maiden name and previously married name. (Not sure if this also happens with widows in modern registers)

Olde Crone
30-01-13, 21:41
A marriage cert should contain a woman's maiden name AND the name she married under, if the two were different, which they were in your case. The marriage should be indexed under both surnames.

OC

Merry
30-01-13, 21:52
I've seen both widows and female divorcees listed with both previous surnames. I've also seen widows and femae divorcees listed with only their last surname, so every variation.

In general though it's divorcees that tend to have the duel surname because the marriage certs tend to say under condition "the divorced wife of X, formerly Z", so introducing two surnames.

vallee
30-01-13, 23:33
thanks all am sending for both marriage certs am curious now