PDA

View Full Version : Another Rose / Parrott find!

ElizabethHerts
25-01-13, 10:27
http://www.bucksherald.co.uk/news/local-news/discovered-17th-century-family-tomb-at-st-mary-s-church-in-aylesbury-hidden-for-years-under-ivy-1-4146990

They have only found this tomb in August last year.

kiterunner
25-01-13, 10:30
Wow! Are you going to be contacting the person mentioned on there, Elizabeth?

ElizabethHerts
25-01-13, 10:44
I have just spoken to the man who wrote the article and he wants some more information.

He will probably put me in contact with another person who has a great interest in the history of Aylesbury.

ElizabethHerts
25-01-13, 10:55
I'm sending the journalist a brief synopsis on the family.
It's hard cutting it down!

Merry
25-01-13, 10:58
Wow, especially as cutting the ivy was a "mistake" lol!! Makes me wonder what else is hidden in churchyards.

Nell
26-01-13, 12:24
Nothing more frustrating than finding a churchyard with an area left to go wild, thick with nettles.

Or pity those with ancestors at St Pancras Old Church or St George the Martyr in Borough - the gravestones have all been piled up together so you can't read them.

ElizabethHerts
26-01-13, 13:15
The sister of the John Parrott mentioned here, Anne, is my 3x great-grandmother and she and her husband Daniel Jeffcoat were buried at Holy Trinity, Brompton. The headstones no longer stand - I thought I knew what happened to them, but I'm not sure. I thought they had been moved somewhere else.

tenterfieldjulie
01-02-13, 03:31
Great find Elizabeth. So fortunate that the inscription can be read, so sad when they are illegible.

ElizabethHerts
01-02-13, 07:26
We saw the tomb on Tuesday when we went to the RO. I have taken quite a few photos and am transcribing the inscriptions.

We went into St Mary's church and got talking to one of the ladies who works there. She said that the man the journalist wants to put me in touch with is on holiday for a couple of weeks, which is why the journalist hasn't heard from him yet.

Ann from Sussex
10-02-13, 16:17
Quote from the article:

"Curiously many of the children’s names who appear on the tomb had short lives, with one, Alfred, son of John and Harriet Elizabeth Parrott, only living for 13 months."

Nothing really curious about it since, as we all know, child mortality was very high until not all that long ago. You need to educate the journalist who wrote that Elizabeth!

ElizabethHerts
10-02-13, 16:42
Ann, someone added a comment on the newspaper site - you can see it if you scroll down.

I spoke to the journalist and he told me the writing the article took him on a steep learning curve!