PDA

View Full Version : prohibition order

Kit
24-01-13, 01:29
I'm reading a 1916 Australian newspaper where the wife applied to the court for a prohibition order against her husband.

Does this mean he can't drink?

JBee
24-01-13, 02:37
I thought it was an order against her husband to stop him interfering with her life ie if there had been some violence - might be wrong though.

Merry
24-01-13, 05:54
Can't a prohibition order refer to anything that needs to stop? My dictionary says "A decree that prohibits something".

Kit
24-01-13, 10:02
I was going to say Julie was right but his death notice says he was her beloved husband so they stayed together or reunited.

kiterunner
24-01-13, 10:36
Searching Trove for the phrase "prohibition order" in 1916, all the ones concerning individuals (as opposed to export of dried fruit, export of wood pulp, etc) do seem to be prohibiting that person from being sold alcohol or drinking it.

JBee
24-01-13, 12:24
Maybe that's it - she steered him away from drink and they had a happy life. Perhaps he was one of those people whose personality changes for the worse with drink.

Olde Crone
24-01-13, 22:05
Huh. My grandad was described as "the dearly beloved husband of".

They hadn't spoken to each other for eight years and communicated by leaving notes on the hall table.

OC

HarrysMum
26-01-13, 10:34
My great grandparents are buried together as the dearly beloved of each other. They hated each other so much they lived in different houses....lol

Kit
30-01-13, 07:51
"the dearly beloved husband of"

My great grandparents are buried together as the dearly beloved of each other.

Maybe they became more fond of each other after one died. lol