PDA

View Full Version : Parking at the National Archives

Rachel A
22-01-13, 17:37
Is this still free? I thought that they were introducing charges, but I've just checked and it says it's still free... :confused: Has anyone been recently to confirm please. Thinking of visiting on a Friday, when this weather improves... :)

ElizabethHerts
22-01-13, 17:41
I haven't been recently, Rachel, but it was free 3 years ago.

Rachel A
22-01-13, 17:48
I haven't been for a few years either! Which reminds me that I must look out my reader card to see if it has expired.

ElizabethHerts
22-01-13, 18:03
Is it snowing where you are, Rachel? The forecast doesn't look promising for tonight. We're hoping it won't reach here.

Rachel A
22-01-13, 18:09
We're in Maidenhead... hopefully the worst is over now and from the weather forecast we're going to miss it tonight (fingers-crossed). It won't be this Friday anyway. Fridays are my day off and as I have my own car now, I thought I would treat myself to a trip to the TNA whilst the children are at school... just got to work out what I want to look up! :)

ElizabethHerts
22-01-13, 18:14
Rachel, it might be a good idea to tell them in advance what you want to look at if it is anything out of the ordinary. I do this now when I go to County Archives/Record Offices as I find time goes so fast.

I've got to go to the NA because they quoted me £47 to look at a Chancery case, and if I go myself I can see the documents for myself and decide if they are worth photocopying.

Rachel A
22-01-13, 18:20
Good point, thank you... :)

ElizabethHerts
22-01-13, 18:21
It's snowing very heavily in Reading - no. 2 daughter has just phoned.

annswabey
22-01-13, 20:19
They WERE going to introduce a charge for parking but as the system didn't work, they've abandoned it, and it's still free.

Also, you can only pre-order if you've got a valid readers ticket.

Rachel A
22-01-13, 20:21
Thanks Ann. Yes forgot that. I think my card has expired actually. Hopefully there shouldn't be too much of a queue to renew on a Friday (like a Saturday!).

Rachel A
22-01-13, 20:22
The snow is light here and not settling... at the moment at least.

Phoenix
22-01-13, 21:03
They were closed on Saturday, so check them out beforehand. Hopefully they've got used to the white stuff by now.

You have to do a quiz now to get your ticket, but I don't think you actually fail it, though they might suggest you redo it if you insist on using ink, rubbers, separating tagged documents etc etc.

Rachel A
22-01-13, 21:30
Thanks Phoenix :) A quiz?... by the time I do that and get the ticket, order a couple of items, it'll be time to go home! :d

Rachel A
22-01-13, 21:31
BTW it's me that don't like driving in the white stuff... :eek: