PDA

View Full Version : Missing BMD information

JohnS
22-01-13, 14:56
I have the following from FreeBMD

Birth: BMD 1877 Q4 8a ___ Birkenhead, John Abraham Egerton
Info probably missing as image unreadable?

Could somebody please check FMP or Ancestry to see if the missing information has been transcribed?

kiterunner
22-01-13, 15:22
You can view the image of the index on FreeBMD, John - go to their home page and click "View images" then navigate to it that way. The image you need to view is Births - 1877 - December - E - 1877B4-E-0162. That way you get to check what page number is shown on the index rather than trust a transcription. By the way, I've looked at it, and it says 8a 546, but you are always recommended to check the reference numbers on the image yourself before ordering certificates.

JohnS
22-01-13, 15:49
Thank you kiterunner. I've had a look and it is clearly 8a 546.

That was a useful tip as I wasn't aware of it. I am wondering now if some of the entries which don't show up when searching (I assume they are not yet transcribed) could be found by going down this route.
I'm going to give it a test now and see if I can maybe identify some entries I had given up on!

Olde Crone
22-01-13, 22:08
Or you could order the cert through the Cheshirebmd site. The birth you rquire is on there - remember though, the reference n umbers are not the same as the GRO.

The advantage of ordering through Cheshirebmd is that you will get a copy of the original cert. the certs at the GRO are copies of copies of the originals.

OC