PDA

View Full Version : Irish BMD's - findmypast

Kit
19-01-13, 22:36
from FB they say:

Here's a little something to keep you busy whilst stuck inside, we've just added 21 million Irish Births, Marriages & Deaths 1864-1958 to our World Collection!

They didn't add it to the UK FMP as it may offend the irish.

kiterunner
19-01-13, 22:47
Thanks for the info, Kit, but I don't understand what you mean about them not adding it to the UK FMP as it may offend the Irish? It is available on the UK site if you choose to search collections from Ireland. You would need a world sub or use credits to view the record once you have found a match, but that is the same with all the "collections from Ireland" stuff on the UK site.

The Irish BMD indexes are also on ancestry and FamilySearch (free on FamilySearch, of course) but they don't include post-1921 Northern Irish indexes and it looks as though this is the same for Findmypast although I haven't found information on FMP to confirm this.

Kit
20-01-13, 04:53
Thanks for the info, Kit, but I don't understand what you mean about them not adding it to the UK FMP as it may offend the Irish?

That is what FMP said on FB.

This is the conversation:

Member of Public: I think this should have been included in the Britain Full subscription NOT the World sub. I pay enough as it is.

FMP: Quite a few Irish people might have been visibly upset if we did! We try to be as politically sensitive as we can, but rest assured there are plenty more British records on the way too!

kiterunner
20-01-13, 08:55
Well, if they were bothered about such political issues but wanted to include Irish records in the UK sub they could just change it to "UK and Ireland" like ancestry. I reckon it is more to do with the fact that they can charge extra by keeping UK and Irish records separate from each other.

But it would have made no sense for them to put the Irish BMD indexes into the UK Collection when all the other Irish records are in the Irish Collection, as that would have meant that people with a subscription to the Irish site would have to pay extra to view them!

Kit
20-01-13, 10:31
I agree it is just a money spinner. I didn't realise FMP had an Irish site but I think they should all be in with the UK things.

Joy Dean
20-01-13, 20:13
I don't understand why they think that it may offend Irish people.

Thanks for the info, Kit, but I don't understand what you mean about them not adding it to the UK FMP as it may offend the Irish? It is available on the UK site if you choose to search collections from Ireland. You would need a world sub or use credits to view the record once you have found a match, but that is the same with all the "collections from Ireland" stuff on the UK site.

The Irish BMD indexes are also on ancestry and FamilySearch (free on FamilySearch, of course) but they don't include post-1921 Northern Irish indexes and it looks as though this is the same for Findmypast although I haven't found information on FMP to confirm this.

These are only available to search in Ireland itself, are they not?

kiterunner
20-01-13, 22:49
Yes, as I understand it that is correct, Joy.

kiterunner
22-01-13, 11:49
They have announced it on their UK site now with confirmation that post-1921 Northern Irish records are excluded.
http://www.findmypast.co.uk/content/news/irish-bmds

ElizabethHerts
24-01-13, 06:57
There's going to be a special offer today.

Findmypast.com just added 21 million new Irish birth, marriage and death records (1800s to the 1950s) to its already staggering collection of historical records. On January 24, findmypast.com is offering a chance to access records free of charge with a promotional code in celebration of Irish Family History Day. The promotional code will be posted on the findmypast US blog on Thursday, January 24.

http://blog.findmypast.com/2013/01/18/new-records-21-million-irish-birth-marriage-and-death-records/

You'll have to acce3ss the U.S. site.

ElizabethHerts
24-01-13, 06:59
http://blog.findmypast.com/

The code is there!

Shona
24-01-13, 12:28
Every time I try, the server is busy.