PDA

View Full Version : Walter Huborn

Jill
18-01-13, 15:29
Link to his daughter Sarah Hughbourne (http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=11617&highlight=sarah+hughbourne)

Name - "official" name and what they were known as
Walter Huborn (previously thought to be William due to IGI mistranscription)
Date and place of birth
1715, Cuckfield, Sussex
Names of parents
Walter & Ann Hoborn (or Haighborne)
Date and place of baptism - if applicable
11 Feb 1715, Holy Trinity, Cuckfield, Sussex
Details of each of his or her marriages - if any
8 May 1740 Holy Trinity, Cuckfield, Sussex to Mary Streater
Occupation(s) - if any
Farmer (from wife's burial record)
Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!).
Cuckfield, Sussex in 1750 at daughter's bapt
Date, place and cause of death
N/K
Date and place of burial.
Holy Trinity, Cuckfield, Walter Hughbourne 11 Apr 1796 aged 80
Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable
N/K
Memorial inscription - if any
N/K

His wife Mary died aged 91 in 1807, widow of Walter Hubarne, farmer.

Shona
19-01-13, 17:29
Had a wee trawl on Family Search and came up with the following. I wonder if Walter and William could have been mixed up or mistranscribed? Or poss a red herring.

Cuckfield
Walter Hoborn married Mary Streaters on 8 May 1740

Cuckfield
John, bapt 25 Jan 1740, father: Walter Hoborn; mother Mary

I also found these baptisms in Balcombe, which isn't too far away - a bit too early, but may be helpful.

Mary, bapt 14 Feb 1707, father: Daniell Hubourn
Sarah, bapt 14 Feb 1707, father: Daniell Hubourn
Daniell, bapt 18 Aug 1709, father Daniell Hubourn
Sarah, bapt 14 March 1710, father: Daniel Huborne; mother: Sarah

There's also a baptism for a John Huborne or Hubenne on 18 October 1714 in Petworth. Father Daniel Huborne or Hubenne; mother is Jane. Poss a second marriage for the Daniell in Balcombe?

Jill
19-01-13, 19:41
Thankyou Shona, I was also wondering about a William/Walter mistranscription as there are a number of Huborn baptisms (and similar tortured spellings) in Cuckfield, I have access to the Sussex Family History Society databases and there appear to be other people with similar names in nearby parishes. It's likely to be the summer before I can get to see any entries on microfiche but it's going on the "to do" list.

Jill
03-09-13, 12:17
Had a wee trawl on Family Search and came up with the following. I wonder if Walter and William could have been mixed up or mistranscribed? Or poss a red herring.

Your suspicions were correct Shona thankyou. It has been mistranscribed and it is indeed Walter.

Jill
01-05-20, 22:25
Walter has a gravestone at Cuckfield:

"in Memory of/WALTER HUBAN/WHO DEPARTED ...[remainder of inscription illegible due to moss and decay of stone]

Walter is buried next to his wife Mary about halfway along the south side of the church, and halfway between the church and an enormous fir tree.