PDA

View Full Version : Can someone leave two wills?

ElizabethHerts
17-01-13, 14:46
I am transcribing a will for a John Rose of Essex Street Strand London which was proved in 1844. John Rose died in 1842 at was buried at St Clement Danes.

The will appears not to deal with his own property but rather that of a man called John Patrick of Islington. (I have found a possible will from 1816 on the NA website.)

"This is the last Will and Testament of me John Rose of Essex Street Strand in the County of Middlesex Gentleman concerning only the real and personal estates and property which are or shall be vested in me as surviving devisee Legatee Executor and Trustee a named in the will of John Patrick late of Islington in the County of Middlesex Esquire deceased...."

None of John Rose's own family are mentioned. He was a solicitor.

I have found another will on the NA website:

Reference:PROB 11/2042/270
Description: Will of John Rose, Gentleman of Strand , Middlesex
Date: 03 September 1846
Held by: The National Archives, Kew
Legal status: Public Record

It's four years after he died but I'm wondering if this is his personal will.

Mary from Italy
17-01-13, 14:53
I've never heard of somebody making two wills, no. Normally at the end of a will it says something like "this will revokes all former wills made by me", so the earlier one would automatically be revoked by the later one.

kiterunner
17-01-13, 14:57
The Index to Death Duty Registers shows the executor for the 1846 one to be Richard Rose, Aylesbury. Also John's address is Essex St., Strand. Does that help?

ElizabethHerts
17-01-13, 14:57
Mary, thanks for your reply.

He doesn't use the stock phrase of this will revoking all former wills etc. Rather:

"Signed sealed published and declared by the above named Testator John Rose as and for his last will and Testament concerning only the real and personal estates property and stock therein mentioned in the presence of us who in his presence at his request and in the presence of each other have hereunto subscribed our names as witnesses Thos B Rose Stoke upon Trent /-/ Anne Dunstree Aylesbury /-/"

He would have been a man of some wealth

ElizabethHerts
17-01-13, 14:58
The Index to Death Duty Registers shows the executor for the 1846 one to be Richard Rose, Aylesbury. Also John's address is Essex St., Strand. Does that help?

Kate, thanks, it is him then. Richard Rose of Aylesbury was also a solicitor and his younger brother or possibly his nephew.

ElizabethHerts
17-01-13, 15:02
Thanks, Kate, again. I found what you found on FMP.

I'm off to download the will now. This family are providing me with hours of pleasure. I only found my connection to them a couple of weeks ago.