PDA

View Full Version : 1911 observation.

Olde Crone
02-11-09, 17:37
I'm probably the last person to realise this, but here goes anyway!

I was just filing away two 1911 census print outs (done in January, lol), one for my grandfather, the other for my grandmother.

My grandmother was deaf from birth (or so we are told) and there is a white label obscuring the "disability" column. There is no such label on my grandfather's record.

So the observation is this: if the last column is obscured then it will be worth your while to go back and look at the 1911 once it is fully released in 1912!

OC

Phoenix
02-11-09, 17:47
Hmm, I think they just slipped up there, OC!

Every single one I've seen (doing a 1 Name Study at Kew) has had the white rectangle.

Conversely, I have only seen one entry where it is obvious that that column has been completed. as the writing has gone into the next column! Not sure why it has extended that far, as the friend whose family it is tells me that the individual was known as "Blind Willie"

Unless he had other problems too!

Olde Crone
02-11-09, 18:04
Oh, ****!

Thought I was onto something there, Phoenix. I only have two to compare, lol.

OC

Uncle John
02-11-09, 19:06
So the observation is this: if the last column is obscured then it will be worth your while to go back and look at the 1911 once it is fully released in 1912!

Not long to wait then :p:p

Olde Crone
02-11-09, 21:27
It's alright, UJ, you can stand down, my observation was a useless one!

OC

Sally
03-11-09, 20:15
OC, I should hang on to that transcription because like a stamp with something missing it could become a collectors item!!!

It's the 100 year rule isn't it - okay to show all details, except whether they were mentally challenged or whatever. Strange.