PDA

View Full Version : Ann Sephton

kiterunner
11-01-13, 09:45
Name - "official" name and what they were known as Ann Sephton
Date and place of birth Don't know
Names of parents Don't know
Date and place of baptism - if applicable Not found
Details of each of his or her marriages - if any 31 Mar 1788 at St Peter and St Paul, Ormskirk, Lancashire, to George Cooper, witnesses Charles Olverson and John Hankin
Occupation(s) - if any Don't know
Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!).
1779 - Scarisbrick, Lancashire
1781 - Lathom, Lancashire
1783 - Snape, Scarisbrick, Lancashire
1785 - 1789 - Scarisbrick, Lancashire

Date, place and cause of death 1789 Scarisbrick, Lancashire, not got cause
Date and place of burial. 3 Nov 1789 St Peter and St Paul, Ormskirk, age not stated
Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable None found but unlikely to be any as she died before her husband
Memorial inscription - if any Not found

Ann had several children before her marriage: Jane baptised 15 Jan 1779 (died 1785), John baptised 4 Feb 1781 (father Henry Farrington), Phoebe baptised 26 Mar 1783 and James (my ancestor) baptised 15 Oct 1786. Also one child after her marriage - Jane baptised 30 Nov 1788 (died 1794). So Ann's mother could be called Jane.
Also there is a Thomas Cooper, son of George Cooper of Scarisbrick, buried 8 Jun 1794 at St Peter and St Paul, Ormskirk, but I don't know whether Ann was his mother.

Link to son's thread:
James Cooper or Sephton (http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/Forum/showthread.php?t=11504)

kiterunner
11-01-13, 10:02
There are quite a few possible baptisms for Ann:

21 Jun 1752 St Cuthbert, North Meols, Anne Sephton daughter of John Sephton and Elizabeth, abode Scarisbrick
2 Dec 1753 St Peter and St Paul, Ormskirk, Anne Sephton daughter of Gilbert Sephton and Marjery, abode Scarisbrick
20 Feb 1757 St Peter and St Paul, Ormskirk, Ann Sephton daughter of Thomas Sephton and Jane, abode Scarisbrick
15 Nov 1761 St Peter and St Paul, Ormskirk, Ann Sephton daughter of William Sephton and Ann, abode Scarisbrick
20 May 1763 St Peter and St Paul, Ormskirk, Ann Sephton daughter of John Sephton and Ann, abode Scarisbrick

The 1757 one looks most likely to me because of the parents' names but I need to investigate them all and see which ones (if any) I can rule out.

kiterunner
11-01-13, 10:09
There is a burial in 1769 for Ann Sephton, daughter of William Sephton of Scarisbrick, so that rules out the 1761 baptism.

kiterunner
11-01-13, 10:19
And a marriage 15 Nov 1773 between John Pennington and Ann Sephton, spinster, both of Scarisbrick. By licence, but the licence info on FMP doesn't give details of Ann's parents. She is likely to be either the one baptised 1752 or the one baptised 1753. Then there is an Ann who married a Thomas Moss in 1789, who could be the one baptised 1763.

kiterunner
11-01-13, 10:25
Looking at the witnesses at George and Ann's wedding, John Hankin is a serial witness and Charles Olverson also witnessed the marriage of an Alice Cooper at the same church on the same day, so he is likely to be connected to George's family rather than Ann's.