PDA

View Full Version : Problems with National Archives downloaded wills

ElizabethHerts
09-01-13, 17:03
I have downloaded some wills from the National Archives website in the past few days.
They used to arrive in PDF format and were easy to download and print. Now they come in a zip file and when I open them either from the e-mail or from my saved version I can't print them.

It's really infuriating. I need to sort it before too long because they become unavailable after a while.

Has anyone any hints?

kiterunner
09-01-13, 18:26
Sorry, I haven't come across that yet, Elizabeth.

kiterunner
09-01-13, 18:32
Strange - if I select a PCC will on the site it still says it's going to be in a PDF file?

ElizabethHerts
09-01-13, 20:11
I have emailed them to ask. I woukld much prefer them in PDF format.

ElizabethHerts
13-01-13, 21:43
OK, after several frustrating days I have now discovered what to do.

Instead of saving the file, I had to choose the "Open With" option. It uses Windows Explorer. It opens in "App Date - Local - Temp". Then you have to chose "Extract all files" and select a destination file to save the document in. Finally, when you view the file you get the "Print" option displayed on the top bar.

Why didn't they just leave it as it was? It was so much quicker.

Merry
14-01-13, 05:48
I often find myself thinking that!

I need to remember this thread...... :D

ElizabethHerts
17-01-13, 12:25
Update:

The National Archives have re-sent the wills to me, this time in PDF format and not as jpegs.

They also said this:
We hope to resolve the jpeg issue with the next update which should be within the next week.

Mary from Italy
17-01-13, 14:55
I received a couple of jpegs from TNA on Tuesday, and there was no problem with them.

ElizabethHerts
17-01-13, 15:04
Mary, they said it's a problem for some people but not others, but it's obviously severe enough for them to have to do some tweaking. I received these a week ago.

Lindsay
20-01-13, 18:48
Thanks for this thread. I've just downloaded 3 Wills - the first 2 were normal PDF files, but the last was 3 jpegs so I had the same problems as you.

At least I know it's not just me.

ElizabethHerts
20-01-13, 18:56
Lindsay, they will resend the jpeg one if you ask them to.

Perhaps they should just go back to PDF format.

Lindsay
20-01-13, 19:01
That's good to know, Elizabeth. I'll drop them a line.

I wonder what the problem is - it's obviously not affecting all Wills.