It's for 7th August

There is:

27th Feb 1784
James Burnham
Winslow
Co. Bucks
Attorney
Jno Rose

I want to know what the role of John Rose was.

I have been back to page 1, but that page hasn't any headings for the columns either.

Merry
08-01-13, 15:06
John Rose is the name of the apprentice.

Wwell, at least all the others I've looked at before today have the master's name first then his abode and occupation and then the name of the apprentice. Some earlier ones then add the name of the father of the apprentice as well.

ElizabethHerts
08-01-13, 15:13
That's interesting, Merry. This Rose family pop up everywhere and there was a marriage between the Roses and the Burnhams.

Merry
08-01-13, 15:22
I guess that's reasonable! Did he marry one of the daughters?

ElizabethHerts
08-01-13, 15:29
http://www.winslow-history.org.uk/winslow_families-burnham.shtm

"James Burnham (senior), 1733-1803
James’s Burnham ancestors had been attorneys in Buckinghamshire from the mid 17th century, initially living in Long Crendon and subsequently in Aylesbury. One, a Thomas Burnham baptised in 1619 in Long Crendon, emigrated to New England in the 1630s where he settled in Hartford, Connecticut, and purchased a large amount of land in the area.
James Burnham was born on 16 July 1733 and baptised on 23 July 1733 at Aylesbury, the son of John Patten Burnham, an attorney and coroner and his wife Mary, nee Cox. James’s older brother Joseph born in 1729 was also an attorney and practised in Aylesbury. Presumably it was decided that James should move to Winslow and he was clerk to Ferdinand Southam in 1752. Fairly soon after he moved to the town he acquired the copyhold tenancy of Brook Hall.
James married Mary Rose at Ashendon on 29 March 1762. The marriage licence documents show James was then aged 28 and from Winslow and Mary was aged 19. "

I'll have to see which John Rose it could be.

ElizabethHerts
08-01-13, 15:35
To muddy the waters,

The is this about Ceely House.

"In 1780, Joseph Burnham, Gentleman, was the owner of 'Bell's House' but was probably not the occupier. He moved in 1784 and was yet another Registrar. Around 1796 an extension to the main house was built fronting Church Street to be used as offices for the Registrar. Burnham died in 1799 leaving all of the property to his wife and nine nephews and nieces but it appears that his clerk, Thomas Hatton, continued to used the Registry Office for some time after his death. It also appears that a large window was converted into a doorway (still extant as the Museum's staff entrance) during Hatton's tenure to provide an independent entrance for this wing. After Mrs Burnham's death, a nephew, Joseph Rose bought out the interested of the others to become the proprietor and is thought to be responsible for the building of an extension to the kitchen wing mentioned above. This may have been a scullery and it is known that, much later, it was part of the butler's area. This part is now used as public toilets though in the 1970s/80s a small boiler room was sited here."

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/museum/ceeley_house.page

I have downloaded Joseph Burnham's will but he doesn't name his nephews and nieces individually, which is most annoying!

It was his brother who married into the Rose family.

ElizabethHerts
08-01-13, 15:44
I found it on Ancestry:

Clerk's Name: John Rose
Attorney: James Burnham
Filing Date: 16 Feb 1784
County: Buckinghamshire

It will be for John Rose, father Thomas Rose and mother Susannah, who was baptised at Lower Winchendon on 23 March 1768.

He became a London lawyer and practiced at Grey's Inn.

John Rose, Their Second Son
Died 4th July 1842
Aged 74 Years and was buried
near his wife at Saint Clement’s
Danes, London

Merry
08-01-13, 16:04
What did a registrar do before the obvious began in 1837?

kiterunner
08-01-13, 16:53
Registered deeds?

Merry
08-01-13, 17:29
Ah, yes....tht makes sense. Thanks.

Mary from Italy
08-01-13, 17:48
Were deeds registered in those days?

kiterunner
08-01-13, 18:03
For example:
http://www.archives.wyjs.org.uk/archives-wrrd.asp

tenterfieldjulie
09-01-13, 08:05
Ooh that looks interesting - thanks Kate.

Mary from Italy
09-01-13, 11:10
Thanks Kate, I had no idea that deeds were registered at such early dates.

garstonite
12-01-13, 08:04
I haven`t read all the posts word for word ...but my Apprenticeship Deeds state a SECOND employer ...this was in case your main employer died or went out of business...
so if the employer and employee and father of the employee ALL sign to the effect that the Apprentice WILL serve his full apprenticeship....IF the main employer couldn`t fulfill his contract - the second employer named signed to ensure the Apprenticeship was completed .
does that make sense ?...it does to me because my deeds are there to scrutinise ...might look a little confusing to you ??
allan