PDA

View Full Version : Setting the cat among the pigeons !

marquette
07-01-13, 01:54
There are many people researching the SHEATHER family of East Sussex. They lived around Salehurst, Etchingham, Udimore and Brede.

For as long as I have been sent information, most seem to have accepted the fact that Frances SELLINGS, who married John Sheather in 1725 in Etchingham Sussex, was born/baptised in 1698 in Flitwick Bedfordshire.

It seemed odd to me, but few of the East Sussex records were available in the IGI, so I shelved it until I could access better resources.

So, now I have joined the Sussex Family History Group which gives me access to their archives, and I have able to confirm that many of the "birth" dates contained in the many trees are in fact baptism dates.

I decided to tackle the problem of Frances - Flitwick Beds seems to be only chosen for her birthplace because that is the only entry which shows up in the IGI. Even now in familysearch.org it shows up. But the Sussex baptism transcriptions show that John and Frances last child James Sheather was baptised in 1752, three years after his brother Samuel.

I am doubtful about a woman in the mid-1700s have a child at the age of 53 ! So I surmise that her birth date was more likely abt 1705-1707.

Given the unilikeliness of 1698 being right, I looked closer to Etchingham for her birth - if anyone had written a town name down, maybe FLIMWELL in Ticehurst, Sussex was a good candidate. Its in the next parish from Etchingham.

But no Fanny or Frances Sellings/Sellen appear in the baptisms. If Flitwick was just a guess based on an IGI record, then perhaps she was born over the border of Sussex in Hawkhurst Kent ?

There are plenty of SELLEN/SELLING/SELDEN all over the East Sussex/Kent parishes, but so far no Fanny/Frances.

I guess I really asking for opinions of the likeliness of Frances travelling from a small hamlet in Bedfordshire to a small hamlet in East Sussex in the early 1700s and that she had her last child at the age of 53 and lived another 20 years ! (Burial found in 1772).

Hopefully, one day another researcher might question the original entry, but this is my husbands family and I am reluctant to "butt in". If I could definitely pinpoint a baptism closer to Etchingham, I could easily say "Look what I found" but without that, I am a bit hesitant.

Di

Merry
07-01-13, 06:34
Without further proof it sounds very much like a guess to me (have you seen the 1725 marriage etry to John Sheather?). There is a marriage for a Frances Sellings in Luton Beds in 1829, which might be a bit late for the dau of Richard and Jane, but ought to be investigated as if you can tie that marriage to the Flitwick Frances Sellings it might make it easier to say something to those who have Richard and his family on their trees!

I wouls also be suspicious if none of the other Sellings went anywhere. Also what about Flitwick burials - they are on the NBI - has anyone looked at those? (I'm in bed at the mo, but would have to venture downstairs to look myself! lol)

Merry
07-01-13, 07:15
I note that John and Frances Sheather didn't name an of their children Richard or Jane. I realise this doesn't prove anything.........

marquette
07-01-13, 08:15
I wil look into the Flitwick Sellings. I can't be sure that the Sheathers followed traditional naming patterns as I don't know all the wife's fathers names, but I can see a bit of the pattern, and agree that missing Richard and Jane would be unusual.

I don't know that the original marriage entry for 1725 would tell me anything extra - at that time all that was usually recorded was the bride and grooms names. But I will look into the 1729 marriage in Luton. Luton is within 10miles of Flitwick.

I have the NBI - not many deaths for Sellings in Bedfordshire - there is a Jane in 1698, but no Richard before 1760. The marriage for Frances to Charles Sear does not throw up any children in familysearch, Theres a 1747 death for Frances Sear in Dunstable, and one for a Charles Sear in Kenilworth in 1733. Not much to go on as I don't know what other variation of Sear there might be. And maybe if Charles died so soon after the marriage, she might have remarried !

Di