PDA

View Full Version : John Smaldon/Smallden

Phoenix
06-01-13, 11:21
John is the current best choice for my 5th great grandparent, but I am not in the least convinced he is my ancestor.

Baptism, marriage (to Mary) & burial all currently unknown. Children:
1751 John Slimbridge
1752 Ann Chittlehampton
1754 William Chittlehampton
1756 William Slimbridge
1758 Mary Chittlehampton
1763 Elizabeth Chittlehampton
1765 Sarah Slimbridge
1768 Agnes Slimbridge
1771 George Slimbridge

His daughter Agnes was bp 12 May 1768 in Swimbridge, Devon. She is the only Agnes Smaldon baptised in Devon on family search, but this is because the local bishop would not permit the mormons to transcribe the registers, so everything is from transcripts in the West Country Studies Library.

My ancestor Agnes Smaldon was married and buried in Chulmleigh, Devon. Her burial suggests a dob circa 1768. Her children were Elizabeth, Sarah, Mary & three Samuels. As her husband was called John and I know nothing of his parents I have no idea who the children were named after.

Slimbridge is not near Chulmleigh, but Devon has various unhabitable bits, so the move may not be as extreme as it looks on the map.

Shona
06-01-13, 18:23
There are a few records on Family Search, which may be helpful - perhaps the bishop changed his mind!

John Smaldon or Trout, baptised 3 January 1730, Swimbridge, Devon. Father: John Smaldon or Trout.

John Smalldon married Mary Collins, 5 November 1750, Landkey, Devon.

There is a marriage for John Smaldon to Ann Howard on 16 August 1778 in Chittlehampton - this may be Agnes's brother. The couple had a son named John, baptised 8 August 1780, who died on 4 February 1795.

I also noticed that both villages seem to be part of the Online Parish Clerk scheme - there are contact details for the person to get on touch with on Genuki.

Phoenix
06-01-13, 20:10
Thank you, Shona!

Phoenix
28-01-15, 21:58
Probably buried June 25 1782, Swimbridge, as he lived there most of his life.