PDA

View Full Version : Outgoing passenger lists up to 1960

JBee
05-01-13, 18:47
OH's cousin was supposed to have emigrated to Canada in late 1955 - 1958 ish but I haven't been able to find them in this data base.

Would they have flown to Canada in that timescale?

Janet
06-01-13, 17:19
Could easily have done, Julie.
Canadian Aviation in the Jet Age (http://www.aviation.technomuses.ca/assets/pdf/e_walkway.pdf)
"Immediately after the war, commercial aviation mushroomed. From nine
million passengers worldwide in 1945, the number climbed to twenty-four
million in 1948. The widespread introduction of jet transport beginning in
the late 1950s created a revolution in speed, comfort, and efficiency similar
to that of the first modern airliners in the 1930s."

Uncle John
06-01-13, 19:14
It could have been a bit costly - the planes had to island-hop to refuel. The Canadian Pacific liners were still going strong up to the mid-60s - my brother and I went for a summer holiday by that route in 1961. We then flew from Montreal to Calgary, which as I remember involved a couple of stops on the way.

JBee
07-01-13, 20:52
Thanks Janet & UJ

I don't think they were well off enough to fly unless there was an assisted passage scheme to Canada.

I had hoped to find them on the database or find them emigrating somewhere else OH might have got it wrong.

Janet
08-01-13, 02:18
Just now I Googled your own words, Julie, "assisted passage scheme to Canada", and found a number of interesting hits for that time period. It looks as if they could conceivably have been part of such a movement. I wouldn't necessarily write it off, especially if the family stories are persistent.

Kit
08-01-13, 08:01
Was it the whole family or just one person?

My grandma came to Australia as a 10 pound pom. My Dad came with her but he was a freebie and is not mentioned on any passenger list. :(

JBee
08-01-13, 08:25
I don't know if Peter went out first followed by his wife and daughter - but I did try all the names without success on that list.

Will google and see what I get thanks Janet.

kiterunner
08-01-13, 08:40
Have you tried on FMP as well as ancestry, Julie?

JBee
08-01-13, 16:02
No Kite - will have a look.

Mary from Italy
08-01-13, 17:47
Bear in mind that many lists don't give first names, just initials or Mr/Mrs.

JBee
09-01-13, 15:08
Thanks - still no result - it could be that OH's cousin's daughter who was in the same class as him said Canada just to annoy him. Will keep looking.