PDA

View Full Version : George Walford (Week 4 - father of MFMMMM)

Merry
04-01-13, 16:52
Name - "official" name and what they were known as

George Walford

Date and place of birth

Unknown

Names of parents

Unknown

Date and place of baptism - if applicable

Unknown

Details of each of his or her marriages - if any

1760 at Swalcliffe, Oxfordshire to Ann Brotherton (index info only)

Occupation(s) - if any

Unknown

Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!).

1791 Sibford Gower, Oxfordshire

Date, place and cause of death

Unknown

Date and place of burial.

Unknown

Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable

Unknown

Memorial inscription - if any

Unknown

Link to daughter's thead:

Ann Walford (http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/Forum/showthread.php?t=11430&highlight=walford)

kiterunner
04-01-13, 17:29
There is a George Walford buried at Sibford Gower 6 Mar 1814 on FamilySearch, but it doesn't give his age. There is also a burial with the same date but Banbury - non-conformist record indexes. If you search on the BMD Registers website it is from the Register of Burials belonging to the Monthly Meeting of Banbury, Oxfordshire from 1795 to 1837.

However, there seems to have been a couple called George and Hannah Walford in Sibton Gower (they had a son George buried in 1802) so it could be that George who was buried in 1814. But then it could be the same George as yours and Hannah could be his second wife? Or more likely the one married to Hannah is the son of the one who was married to Ann.

Anyway, hopefully the burial entry would give his age which might help matters.

kiterunner
04-01-13, 17:36
Oh, there are a couple of public trees on ancestry showing your George's date of dateh as 28 Aug 1810 North Newington, Oxfordshire, and Ann's death as 2 Sep 1800 at the same place, and six children of the couple. Have you looked at those before, Merry?

Merry
04-01-13, 18:52
I'm not sure that electricity had been invented when I did this research Kate!

Thanks very much for the leads.....I will be investigating.....

Merry
05-01-13, 09:15
Oooh, most of the Ancestry trees probably have the same source and there are branches on a couple going back to the late 1500s which start from the wrong people in the late 1700s and have identical spelling errors! I know who made the original mistakes and he is not the type to accept absolute proof he has gone wrong. Of course this doesn't mean those Walford burial records are wrong, but I won't be contacting the tree holders and opening up another can of worms as I did that once before! lol

Thanks again though Kate for pointing out there is definitely more info out there - I have found a few bits and pieces on TNA too which may help. I shall be doing my own work on this! lol

There is a George Walford buried at Sibford Gower 6 Mar 1814 on FamilySearch, but it doesn't give his age. There is also a burial with the same date but Banbury - non-conformist record indexes. If you search on the BMD Registers website it is from the Register of Burials belonging to the Monthly Meeting of Banbury, Oxfordshire from 1795 to 1837.

I have a fiche with these records, so there must be a reason I didn't do anything with that burial - so maybe the 1810 one is right. I'm going to have a look at FP death duty records on the offchance that tells me something.

Merry
06-01-13, 09:22
I've not yet found anything more on these Walfords, but looking at those trees on Ancestry reminded me they have a different bride for my 6xg-grandparents (ancestors of the son-in-law of George and Ann Walford). I knew the bride's name via other records, but now I have found the marriage too, so I can feel more confident I am right and the Ancestry tree compiler is not! lol AND it's the first Fleet marriage in my tree (probably not the only one but the first I can confirm!)

So, I am very happy. Thanks Kate for pointing me in a good direction!!

Merry
06-01-13, 10:58
Drat! it would seem that the 1722 marriage isn't the right one after all (thanks Libby, lol!), so it's back to the drawing board!

I am going to go over the research in this line soon, as it was done when I first started out so there may well be a lot more to find out now (or mistakes? :eek:). *crosses everything*

Merry
07-01-13, 17:35
Right, back to the various George Walfords!

The 1814 burial is for George (cordwainer of Burdrop) aged 52, so that would make him born about 1762. The Ancestry trees have my Ann Walford's brother b 26 July 1761 (probably actually a baptism date), so it seems very likely this is him and he is the husband of Hannah. They probably married about 1790 and there are Quaker birth records for their children between 1791 and 1800 (inc George who you mentioned died aged 2 in 1802) all giving the father's occ as cordwainer and the abode as Burdrop.

Ann Walford and her siblings are said to have been born at Sibford Ferris according to those trees (a hamlet in Swalcliffe parish) I've got Sibford and Shutford (contiguous parishes) on fiche, but not Swalcliffe! Bother.

I'm pretty sure the original George Walford and his wife Ann Brotherton were never Quakers, so the C of E PRs should be the place for their burials.

Oh, there are a couple of public trees on ancestry showing your George's date of date as 28 Aug 1810 North Newington, Oxfordshire, and Ann's death as 2 Sep 1800 at the same place, and six children of the couple. Have you looked at those before, Merry?

I've only just realised that N Newington is in the parish of Broughton and I have the fiche for Broughton!!! If only I didn't have to cook dinner first.......*sigh* lol

Merry
07-01-13, 18:43
That's disappointing - there are no 1800 or 1810 burials for George or Ann Walford in Broughton.

Merry
08-01-13, 12:15
Oooh, when George Walford's daughter, Ann got married in 1791 she, and her husband Joseph Tyler, had all these people witness the marriage:

Relations: (I've worked out who most of them are)

George Walford (mark) <<<<<<<<<<bride's father
John Tyler <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<groom's father
Mary Tyler <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<groom's mother
George Walford jr <<<<<<<<<<<<<<bride's brother
John Walford <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<bride's brother
Catherine Bennett <<<<<<<<<<<<<???
Mary Walford (mark) <<<<<<<<<<<bride's mother
Hannah Walford <<<<<<<<<<<<<< bride's younger sister
Richard Tyler <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<groom's younger brother
Timothy Tyler <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<groom's youngest brther
Elizabeth Midwinter <<<<<<<<<<<<groom's older sister
Hannah Walford <<<<<<<<<<<<<<wife of George Walford jr
William Minchin <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<???
John Lamb <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< one of the numerous flock of cousin Lambs or maybe someone closer I don't know about yet?!

All this lot are more witnesses, but are not recorded as relations. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of them are though.

Joseph Lamb
Margaret Lamb
Mary Midwinter
John Walford
John Lamb
Hannah Lamb
Joseph Lamb
Rebecca Fardon
Eleanor Gauthern
Susanna Lamb
Simon Gauthern
John Minchin
John Enock
Mary Treadwell
Jeremiah Lamb
Elizabeth Pettipher
Ann Pettipher
Michael Pettipher
Joseph Harris
Ann Prophet
Mary Gilkes jr
Joseph Russell
Grace Gilkes
Thomas Russell
Ann Padbury
John Harris
Susanna Enock
Mary Russell
Ann Lamb
Mary Harris
Frances Ashby
Mary Green
Thomas Gilkes
John Harris
William Gilkes
William Lamb
Philip Gilkes

Now, how to work out exactly who they are! lol

kiterunner
08-01-13, 13:17
That's going to keep you busy for a while, Merry!

Merry
08-01-13, 14:19
I'm just deciding whether to purchase a fiche of Swalcliffe PRs for £4 or a CD (presumably searchable?) of about 15 parishes including Swalcliffe for £17.50 where I have about five of them already on fiche. I am tempted by the CD mainly because I won't have to sit on the (unheated) floor in the dining room where the fiche reader is!

Why do they (in this case, Oxfordshire FHS) insist on selling CD PR transcripts for groups of parishes that are not all together, on the same CD? The CD I'm looking at has a ring of parishes (the two in the middle are on a different CD) and then two other slightly distant parishes are included! I know what will happen - I will need the CD for the two parishes in the middle! lol

kiterunner
08-01-13, 15:27
You could buy the fiche and put the heating on in the dining room for a little while?

Merry
09-01-13, 14:14
lol!

I was quite shocked when I told OH the price of a CD, expecting him to say to get it over the fiche as it's easier to work with, but instead he said "ooh, that's expensive" (he who is always buying things!). Maybe I should ask him how much it will cost to heat the room!!!

Merry
11-11-14, 09:48
Well, I never bought the fiche or the CD, but thanks to fmp Oxon wills database, I now have the will for George and he says in it he is of Sibford Ferris which may well mean he is buried at Swalcliffe! (as SF is in that parish).

The will has given me his surviving children and some other relatives:

John Walford
George Walford
Catherine Bennett (in that 1791 list of marriage witnesses, but not known to me before)
Mary Prue (who doesn't seem to appear on the marriage witness list. Her name could be Price but there's never a dot over the 'i')
Son-in-Law Samuel Woolgrave
Daughter Hannah Woolgrave (they must have married after 1791)
Granddaughter Hannah Woolgrave

I haven't added any of this to my tree yet, so will do it right now!