PDA

View Full Version : FMP newspapers - a treasure trove!

Nell
02-01-13, 17:15
I've found a more detailed report of the trial for murder of my gt x 3 uncle, William Mealing, in 1862.

It gave more information about the evidence William's parents gave and also a report of the judge's summing-up. The judge said that the question was whether William's act of killing his fiancee was uncontrollable and listed the evidence to show William was unwell. He also said that there should be no blame attached to his parents for not restraining him further, as his mother had thought he was suicidal, not homicidal and

"people in the condition of labourers could not provide a guard, and a mother did not like to have a son sent to a lunatic asylum until the last extremity".

Without a sympathetic judge, or the expert witnesses called (William's defence was paid for by the village) he might have been found guilty, and would at that date have been hanged in public.

vallee
02-01-13, 19:57
thats brilliant Nell I have not been able to find even things I know were in the papers, must be doing something wrong.

Asa
04-01-13, 07:55
It's interesting to hear of a compassionate judge in an age we normally think of as harsh, Nell

Nell
10-01-13, 22:20
My thoughts exactly, Asa!