PDA

View Full Version : In a quandary which one

borobabs
01-01-13, 20:35
Im in a quandary which one should I choice

FMP membership at £98.95

or the genealogist at £107.50

I have used FMP for last few yrs along with ancestry but now need more parish records does genealogist do a better coverage of these ??

kiterunner
01-01-13, 22:49
You would need to consider which counties you want parish records for, among other things, Babs, but I don't think The Genealogist is very good for parish registers - though if you are planning to look up a lot of non-conformists it would be good for those. I think a lot of the parish records that it lists are taken from Phillimore's Marriage Indexes which tend to be available elsewhere, but I could be wrong as I haven't actually used their site for a long time so will wait to see what other people say.

borobabs
01-01-13, 22:58
Thanks Kate , I could maybe have some non cons but not sure so lot of money for maybe
I will do same as you and wait till someone who is member can tell me better most of my way backs are from Worcestershire and Staffordshire areas

borobabs
02-01-13, 14:40
nudge see if anyone knows answers

Merry
02-01-13, 15:04
I think once you have exhausted the normal routes for PRs (excluding the fact that any site might upload a lot more two minutes after your sub has expired!) then you need to google the specific parishes you need or check GENUKI to see where you might find the info you seek.

I agree with Kate that The Genealogist doesn't appear to have much coverage for PRs that isn't available elsewhere, but that doesn't mean they mightn't be good for any individual researcher as we all have different requirements.

borobabs
02-01-13, 15:19
Cheers Merry will go down the genuki route later then thanks