PDA

View Full Version : Have death date but where?

geniebug
29-12-12, 21:15
My rellie Daniel Cook born in Sheet, Hampshire - and married and had most of his kids there, or at Petersfield (not sure how far away they are from each other), died on 21 Feb 1899 - could someone please tell me if if was at Sheet, Petersfield or some other place in Hampshire?

Chrissie Smiff
29-12-12, 21:25
Daniel Cook - March quarter 1899 - died aged 81 in Petersfield ref 2c 105

geniebug
29-12-12, 21:28
Thank you Chrissie Smiff :) - I knew it must be one or the other, I guess those towns are very close to each other.

Merry
29-12-12, 21:30
Thank you Chrissie Smiff :) - I knew it must be one or the other, I guess those towns are very close to each other.

Petersfield district covers a lot of places including Petersfield and Sheet.

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/petersfield.html

geniebug
29-12-12, 21:35
Thanks Merry. Same family (I'm checking my tree with a relative's) - I have date of marriage for Seth Cook and Eliza Adams as 23 Aug 1870, and relative has 23 Aug 1874 in Petersfield District.

I am thinking I am wrong.

I have Eliza Adams (Seths wife) as being born 1853, Liss, Hants, and relative has 1855 in Liss Hants.

Who is right in this instance?

Chrissie - I am jood (Judy) - you may know me from other threads

Chrissie Smiff
29-12-12, 21:35
You're welcome Geniebug:)

Merry
29-12-12, 21:45
Marriages Sep 1874

Adams Eliza Petersfield 2c 255
COOK Seth Petersfield 2c 255

geniebug
29-12-12, 21:47
Thanks again Merry - and thanks for the Petersfield site.

jood

Merry
29-12-12, 21:48
There's only one registration for an Eliza Adams, but reg wasn't compulsory then, so to be certain, you would have to determine her dob another way (ie marriage cert >>> father's name>>>> age on earlier census>>> baptism etc

Births Mar 1855
Adams Eliza Petersfield 2c 114

Merry
29-12-12, 21:50
Daniel and his wife were in Sheet in 1891, so it's probably more likely they died there than Petersfield, unless they moved in with family or ended up in the workhouse etc. Others registered on the same page as daniel and Sally were all living in villages on the previous census (those I could find!) rather than in Petersfield.

geniebug
29-12-12, 21:54
I've altered his death to Sheet, as in 1891 Census it sounded like they were still in the same area.

Daniel Cook, 73, Sheet Hampshire - general labourer domestic
Sally Cook, 74, born Sussex Harting

Thanks again Merry.

Chrissie Smiff
29-12-12, 22:13
Chrissie - I am jood (Judy) - you may know me from other threads

Sorry Jood. I knew that I should know your name but it's so long since I saw you.

geniebug
29-12-12, 22:27
I'ts ok - I pop in here and there from time to time lol
I've added my name to the sig part.

tenterfieldjulie
30-12-12, 08:04
Jood I stayed outside Petersfield Hampshire in 2010 and caught the bus into town. It is quite a big place .. Friends then took me to Harting in Sussex .. they are quite close in distance .. just in different counties .. I have photos of Harting and the church if you'd like them .. it is a gorgeous village.. Peter's Greentrees came from Harting (he was a convict )

geniebug
30-12-12, 08:15
What a co-incidence Julie - so close too. I'd love the photos please - do you want to show them on here, or im or what?

I wish I knew the name of the church they were married in, but it just says Petersfield Hants

tenterfieldjulie
30-12-12, 08:42
http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x382/tenterfieldjulie/endofholidays2010.jpg

geniebug
30-12-12, 08:44
Very pretty - is the first one Petersfield and the second one Liss? Did you get to Sheet, Hants?

Merry
30-12-12, 09:08
I wish I knew the name of the church they were married in, but it just says Petersfield Hants

I just checked Genuki and then googled for photos:

St Peter, The Square, Petersfield (http://www.hampshirechurches.co.uk/church.asp?p=Petersfield)

St Mary, Farnham Road, Sheet (http://www.hampshirechurches.co.uk/church.asp?p=Sheet1)

Note St Mary's in Sheet wasn't built until 1869.

Sheet is more or less part of Petersfield town now - it's less than a mile from the centre of Petersfield.

tenterfieldjulie
30-12-12, 09:18
http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x382/tenterfieldjulie/endofholidays20101-1.jpg
I haven't enough Internet allowance to post all my picks of the area Jood but will bring lappie next month and you can copy what you like ..
Bought a great book called "A History of Harting" by Rev HD Gordon which is a reprint of History of Harting a book originally printed in 1877. It is about 2 inches thick and was reprinted by the Petersfield Bookshop - www.petersfieldbookshop.com which is worth having a look. I will bring the book and other bits and pieces with me.

tenterfieldjulie
30-12-12, 09:20
Jood the pictures are all of Harting... the noticeboard says the church is called St. Mary and St. Gabriel and inside was a very modern sculture of the angel Gabriel.

tenterfieldjulie
30-12-12, 09:33
We stayed in Winchester and caught the bus out to Chawton to Jayne Austen's house. Then I caught a bus to Langrish House outside Petersfield. Friends took me to Harting and then to a very old tiny (2 cells) church at Up Marden, it has no electric lighting only candles and you walked across a field to it.
Then went to another tiny church, St Andrew's at Didling, parts of it from the 13th Cent, the font was Saxon. I was so lucky that my friends who live in Sussex, (not in that area) are interested in heritage buildings. He helped restore a church which was struck by lightning. I was over the moon so to speak to have some one walking around pointing out features of buildings which date them.. One of the pubs in Harting dates from the 1400s .. quite common I know to Upovers but amazing to us Colonials ..

geniebug
30-12-12, 09:53
Thanks Merry - what beautiful old churches. I do love the churches in England, they are so pretty.

Seems my rellies were married in 1840 (Petersfield), His parents also, in 1802 I noticed that one church had been going since Medieval times.

Julie, thanks a bunch. I will bring a usb stick along with me. Don't worry about sending any more, I appreciate the ones you sent.

Julie it has just occurred to me, you have not written up about your lengthy trip to the UK - make it a job for the New Year *giggles*

I should have gone to Hampshire, but we went to Ayreshire and Wiltshire instead, hunting for my ex mother in law's family - some years later, she let it slip she was adopted. grrrrrrr

tenterfieldjulie
30-12-12, 10:01
Jood .. you are not noice .. I do not need to be reminded .. like a hole in my head .. maybe I should bring notes, photos, books etc etc and you can do it for me ...........

geniebug
30-12-12, 10:17
but but but ............... - I dinny go to the UK Julie :o

I had forgotten all about it too except when you mention different things that happened over there and where you went etc.!!!
Wow it will be a mammoth story!

tenterfieldjulie
30-12-12, 10:49
Now Jood .. I think by now you probably remember more aboout my stories than I do .. I'm sure that you and Janet would do a great job .. me I'm berry tired .. getting up at 4.30 am after going to bed at midnight ... it was a great time to be on the road as there was hardly any traffic .. wondered why I didn't see any traffic on the Centenary Hwy .. then on the freeway there was hardly any either and I hardly passed a car on the Gap..