PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know Aylesbury?

Lindsay
27-12-12, 10:13
I have a Will from 1738 which mentions 'my mansion house situate in the Back Street in Aylesbury', and 'my other messuage or tenement adjoining next to my said dwelling house, called or known by the name of Coach and Horses victualling house'.

I've tried looking on google maps and keep getting Back Street, Wendover - is this the same as Back Street, Aylesbury?

And does the Coach and Horses still exist?

Shona
27-12-12, 11:00
There was a pub called the Coach and Horses. Now demolished, though.

The following link gives the names of some of the publicans.

http://deadpubs.co.uk/Buckinghamshire/Aylesbury/CoachHorses.shtml

ElizabethHerts
27-12-12, 11:31
Oakum Picker lives near Aylesbury. If she sees this I'm sure she'll reply.

Shona
27-12-12, 11:43
Back Street was renamed Buckingham Street.

Aylesbury Town Council website has info on street name changes.

tenterfieldjulie
27-12-12, 11:43
Isn't it where we went to the Bucks RO?

ElizabethHerts
27-12-12, 14:36
Isn't it where we went to the Bucks RO?

Yes, Julie, this is where you got very excited over the discovery of some wills! :d

Do you remember the scary roundabout?

Lindsay
27-12-12, 18:14
Back Street was renamed Buckingham Street.

Aylesbury Town Council website has info on street name changes.

Don't you hate it when they change road names!

It doesn't sound like any buildings I'm interested in are still standing, then.

Shona
27-12-12, 19:51
Don't give up! Pubs do change names. I noticed there is a v old pub on Buckingham Street called the Harrow. It's a listed building. Check the link abt pubs and read what it says about the Harrow.

Lindsay
28-12-12, 21:56
Thanks, Shona.

Having had a dig, it looks like there are 2 old pubs in Buckingham Street - the Harrow, and one that was the Buckingham Arms and is now Emperors. I haven't found a lot of their history online - nothing to say one of them was called the Coach and Horses, anyway, but my John must have known them.

I know when John owned it in the 1720s and 1730s the tenant was Jasper Davis, and I've been sidetracked looking at him - there's a snippet view on Googlebooks which suggests he drove the Edinburgh Stage at one point (or maybe a son?). Fascinating!

Shona
28-12-12, 22:13
That's a brilliant discovery. My great-grandfather was a carrier in Scotland and was once 'had up' for speeding. After the court case, he placed an ad in the local rag claiming that his stagecoach was 'guaranteed on oath' to be the fastest route.

The will was specific abt the house and pub on Back Street, so it may be worth contacting Buckinghamshire archives to see if they can help.

Lindsay
29-12-12, 21:06
Good idea Shona, I think I'll do that.

And lol at your g-grandfather - that's style!