PDA

View Full Version : Diana Porter MMMMMMM (&MMMMMFM)

Phoenix
21-12-12, 23:04
Diana or Dinah was baptised 29 May 1740, at St Margarets Kings Lynn Norfolk, daughter of Edward Porter & Margaret Nee Smith.

She had numerous illegitimate children from
John MASSINGHAM Porter bp 1761 Sy Nicholas Kings Lynn Norfolk to
Mary Porter bp 22 December 1770 St Nicholas Kings Lynn Norfolk

she married firstly
John Massingham 10 December 1770 St Nicholas Kings Lynn Norfolk (so presumably their daughter Mary was not baptised at birth.)

John Massingham was a mariner from Cley Next the Sea, Norfolk and appears to have been running two families simultaneously.

I am not at all sure when John Massingham died (perhaps he was lost at sea?) but I next find Diana in the Cley Registers:
Dorothy ye base born daughter of Diana Massingham bp 7 Jany 1775 by her husband's son. So far as I can make out, John Massingham's eldest son would have been about 19 at the time.

Dianah Massingham, widow, married 17 August 1778 in Cley to Henry Hooke, bachelor. His mother, Mary Fox, was a witness. I imagine that all the vestry heaved a sigh of relief.

The twins were baptised 27 August 1778 in Cley. I am descended from both Sarah and Mary Hook.

Henry Hook and Dorothy's father appear to have been exact contemporaries. Diana seems to have had no subsequent children.

Diana appears to have remained in Cley and was buried there 10 June 1802 aged 63. There is no surviving gravestone nor a will.