PDA

View Full Version : Mary Whitaker

kiterunner
21-12-12, 18:33
Name - "official" name and what they were known as Mary Whitaker
Date and place of birth Don't know
Names of parents Don't know
Date and place of baptism - if applicable Not found
Details of each of his or her marriages - if any 21 Jan 1765 at Norton Cuckney, Nottinghamshire, to Francis Moore, witnesses Jonathan Woofenden and William Cooper
Occupation(s) - if any Don't know
Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!).
1765 - parish of Norton Cuckney, Nottinghamshire / Derbyshire
1765 - 1785 Langwith, Derbyshire, parish of Norton Cuckney
Date, place and cause of death Not found
Date and place of burial. Not found
Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable Don't know
Memorial inscription - if any Not found

Link to daughter:
Hannah Moore (http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=11228)

Note: I thought this was the Mary Whitaker who was baptised 15 Apr 1745 at Scarcliffe, Derbyshire, daughter of John and Hannah, but now I have found a Mary Whittaker who married a John Revel of Clown at Scarcliffe 30 Aug 1763, with baptisms of children of John and Mary Revel at Sutton cum Duckmanton, Derbyshire, from 1764 to 1789 and the burial of Mary Revill at Sutton cum Duckmanton in 1825, age 80, so it looks likely that that Mary was the one from Scarcliffe and mine wasn't.

kiterunner
21-12-12, 18:47
There is a Sarah Whitaker who got married in Norton Cuckney in 1779 (to a William Anderson) who may or may not be related to Mary. One of Mary's children was called Sarah, so she could have been named after Sarah Whitaker (or both named after the same Sarah).

kiterunner
21-12-12, 18:57
There is a Mary Moore of Langwith buried at Norton Cuckney 22 Jun 1781, but my Mary had children baptised in 1782 and 1785 so that isn't her. One of her daughters was called Mary - baptised 2 Jan 1770 - but I have put a note on my tree saying that Mary jr married a George Wood 25 Nov 1789 at Norton Cuckney, by banns. But I wonder whether I've checked that this couldn't have been Mary senior. I must have done this research a long time ago and I don't seem to have followed it up. FreeREG shows the witnesses at the George Wood / Mary Moore wedding as William Morton and Jonathan Woofenden, but it doesn't show the bride's marital status. I don't suppose I'm going to get to the Notts Archives to look it up for a few days! I do have some notes I made from the Norton Cuckney PR's but I will have to hunt them out and see if I transcribed that one.

kiterunner
21-12-12, 19:07
Hmmm, FreeREG has a Mary Wood of Langwith buried 19 Mar 1832 at Norton Cuckney, age 90. This would be about right for my Mary senior. But I can't see a burial for George Wood.

kiterunner
21-12-12, 22:44
Also I have an Ann Wood in my tree - she married Thomas Bowskill in 1771 at Bothamsall, Nottinghamshire, and their son William (born 1784 Elkesley, Nottinghamshire) married Hannah Moore, daughter of Francis and Mary. So now I'm wondering whether George Wood could be related to Ann Wood. Unfortunately I don't know who Ann Wood's parents were!

kiterunner
23-12-12, 18:28
Hmm, there is a Sarah Whitaker baptised 22 Feb 1757 at Upper Langwith, Derbyshire, parents William and Anne, and also a Sarah baptised at Scarcliffe 1750, parents John and Hannah, and one baptised at Scarcliffe in 1761, parents Thomas and Eleanor. So one of these could be the one who got married in Norton Cuckney in 1779, and may or may not be related to Mary. I can't see a Mary Whitaker baptised at Upper Langwith or Scarcliffe on FamilySearch, and apparently Derbyshire Record Office is closed until February.

kiterunner
27-12-12, 12:36
I went and checked at Nottinghamshire Record Office, and the George Wood / Mary Moore marriage doesn't state whether Mary was a spinster or a widow. She made her mark rather than signing her name. It wasn't written on a pre-printed marriage form, and I don't think there is likely to be a separate banns record available.

Shona
27-12-12, 17:51
Are any of these any use? All three are from Family Search.

Mary Whitacer, b 1740, Misson, father Christopher
Mary Whitaker, b 1741, Lowdham, father John
Mary Whittacre, b 1745, Scrooby, parents John and Ann

kiterunner
27-12-12, 18:03
Thanks, Shona, I saw those the other day but haven't found anything to connect them to my Mary yet. I'm thinking she might come from Derbyshire, though, and I think there is quite a bit of Derbyshire stuff which isn't online yet.

kiterunner
08-09-13, 15:01
But now that FamilySearch have indexed a lot more of the Derbyshire parish registers, I have found the baptism of a Mary Whitaker 15 Apr 1745 at Scarcliffe, parents John and Hannah! My Mary had children named John and Hannah - in fact, they were so determined to have a daughter named Hannah that they gave this name to three children, the first two dying in infancy. I know that Mary's parents-in-law were called William and Mary (and yes, Mary and her husband had children named after them) so it looks pretty likely to me that Mary Whitaker's mother would be called Hannah. Though Mary's first daughter was called Elizabeth and I don't know who she would be named after in that case.

kiterunner
08-09-13, 15:16
Ah, the next child of John and Hannah Whitaker was an Elizabeth, baptised 12 Nov 1747. Possible marriage for the parents: John Whitaker / Hannah Bacon, 19 Nov 1744 at Ault Hucknall, Derbyshire. Not too far from Scarcliffe, looking at the map. And the book "Derbyshire Parish Registers - Marriages vol 1" says "both of Palterton", which is actually in the parish of Scarcliffe.

So looking very good!

kiterunner
09-04-15, 22:47
I'm just looking at the Derbyshire parish registers on FamilySearch, now they are indexed with images, and there is a Mary Whittaker of Scarcliffe who married a John Revel of Clown 30 Aug 1763. I need to figure out whether she is the Mary who was baptised in 1745, daughter of John and Hannah, because if so, my tree is wrong!

kiterunner
10-04-15, 13:42
Okay, there are a lot of children of John and Mary Revell (with various spellings of surname) from 1764 to 1789 at Sutton cum Duckmanton, Derbyshire, which isn't far from Clowne. Then Mary Revill is buried 11 Feb 1825 at Sutton cum Duckmanton, age 80. I'm getting "image not available" when I try to view it on FamilySearch, but it looks pretty likely that she is the Mary who I thought was my Mary Whitaker.

So, back to the drawing board...

kiterunner
10-04-15, 14:20
My Mary Whitaker probably isn't the one baptised at Scrooby in 1745 because there is one who married a George Sanderson at Scrooby in 1763, though I haven't managed to find a burial for her to check her approx. year of birth.