PDA

View Full Version : Why Cant I Find This Other Eastwood Family?

BlueSavannah
20-12-12, 14:04
I've been searching on numerous census for an Eastwood family in Sheffield but having no joy on any. The reason I am looking for them is to clarify that they did actually exist and are not somehow mingled with my Eastwoods.

This family had William Eastwood & Elizabeth as the parents and they had children Sarah Ellen (1874), Mary Elizabeth (1876), Alice (1879), Emily (1881), Ada (1883) & Benjamin (1885). All of these children were baptised at St Philip, Sheffield. William's occupation was a File Cutter.

My Eastwoods are William Henry Eastwood and Harriet Fowler with children that have different names and different birth years. However, my William is also a File Cutter and when I purchased the birth cert of their son, also named William Henry Eastwood, the mother's name was given rightly or wrongly as Elizabeth formerly Fowler!

Now I have searched for a marriage of a William Eastwood to a Elizabeth Fowler but cannot locate this either.

I dont know if I have the right birth cert but there isnt any other William Henry Eastwood's registered in the Sheffield/Ecclesall Bierlow area around 1869 when mine was born.

Also, I have tried for a number of years to locate the baptisms of all the children to my William & Harriet but found nothing, even though they were living in the St Philip, Sheffield area. I've tried all the surrounding churches and the Cathedral. The only one I did find was a private baptism at St Philip of their child Albert who died not long after, and his parents were named Henry & Harriet on this.

I still think this is two seperate families but its really confusing me now. If anyone can see this other family on any census to prove they exist in their own right and I can disregard all info on them, I would really appreciate any help.

Thank you :)

Merry
20-12-12, 14:36
Mary and Emily appear on the 1891 census with their mother, Elizabeth, who is now married to George Land. Benjamin died in 1889 and I've not yet looked for any of the others.

Merry
20-12-12, 14:38
Here they are in 1881:

William and Elizabeth Eastwood 1881 (http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?htx=view&r=5538&dbid=7572&iid=WRYRG11_4646_4649-0526&fn=Elizabeth&ln=Eastwood&st=r&ssrc=&pid=25560801)

Merry
20-12-12, 14:43
the mother's name was given rightly or wrongly as Elizabeth formerly Fowler!

Was this a GRO cert or a local one?

I should think it's unlikely the William who was 29 in 1881 would have had a child before 1871 (so the cert is more likely to belong to your relation) and when I look at the 1871 census all the 1852ish Williams are at home with their parents.

BlueSavannah
20-12-12, 14:45
Thank you so much Merry. So definately two families. I have no idea why I didnt find that entry :(

Now I am worried that I have the wrong certificate if this Elizabeth's maiden name is also Fowler :confused:

BlueSavannah
20-12-12, 14:51
The cert was a GRO cert. I am now worried incase I do have the right cert but now the wrong mother!

Merry
20-12-12, 14:51
There's a marriage in 1872 to Elizabeth Andrews which may belong to the Wm you asked us to look for.

Which registration is the one you bought?

??

Births Sep 1869
EASTWOOD William Henry Sheffield 9c 351

Is there another child you could get a cert for?

Merry
20-12-12, 14:54
Why can't I see your family in 1871?

kiterunner
20-12-12, 14:58
This is most of them in 1871, and should confirm that you have the right family for Harriet:

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?htx=view&r=5538&dbid=7619&iid=WRYRG10_4662_4665-0363&fn=Harry&ln=Eastwood&st=d&ssrc=&pid=28299553

BlueSavannah
20-12-12, 14:59
Yes, that entry is the cert that I have which says parents are William Henry Eastwood, File Cutter, & Elizabeth Eastwood formerly Fowler. William & Harriet had quite a few other children so I probably should now send for one of theirs.

I think there was someone with the surname of Andrew(s) visiting that William & Elizabeth you found so that marriage is likely.

Harriet Eastwood along with her children Mary & William (though down as Henry) are with her parents Charles & Margaret Fowler on the 71 census. I've never found William Henry on this census (he was born 1834 in Sheffield).

kiterunner
20-12-12, 15:02
I can't see that you need another birth certificate, because surely Harriet being with her family in 1871 proves that you have the right family for her?

Merry
20-12-12, 15:02
Doh, Harry! lol

BlueSavannah
20-12-12, 15:03
My worry now is that the cert I have is the right one for my William Henry born 1869 and I have gone down the wrong mother for some reason.

I have the marriage cert for William Henry Eastwood & Harriet Fowler but should I have been looking at the William & Elizabeth couple instead considering the cert says the mother is Elizabeth formerly Fowler.

Is it just likely the GRO put the wrong first name and the right surname?

Merry
20-12-12, 15:06
I can't see that you need another birth certificate, because surely Harriet being with her family in 1871 proves that you have the right family for her?

I agree with that. I just wondered as the cert is a GRO one, it may say Harriet rather than Elizabeth on the original. You could try contacting Sheffield register office to ask. I have done that before at Bristol - they looked up the original whilst I waited on the phone as I could tell them the subdistrict and the date of registration so it was quick for them to do! (and in my case the info was still wrong, but don't let that put you off!!)

BlueSavannah
20-12-12, 15:10
Thanks Merry. I will try and contact Sheffield Registry Office tomorrow and see if they will check the original for me.

I cant see how the William & Elizabeth are my man's parents as they seem a little too young to be his parents but I know its not impossible. Just concerned i've been going down the wrong road for a little too long now. Should have checked this long ago.