PDA

View Full Version : A brilliant book

Shona
11-12-12, 15:38
Last year, the OH bought me Henry Mayhew's book 'London Labour and the London Poor'. For anyone who has people in their family tree who lived in London in the 1840s and 1850s, it's a must read.

The blurb in the back of the book neatly sums up the content.

The book orginated in a series of newspaper articles written by the great journalist Henry Meyhew...a dozen years later, it had grown into the fullest picture we have of labourers in the greatest city of the 19th century. It is an account of the hopes, customs, grievances and habits of the working classes that allows them to tell their own stories. From coster-mongers to ex-convicts, from chimney sweeps to vagrants, the underprivileged of London are brought to life - their plight expressed through a startling blend of first-person accounts, Mayhew's perceptions and sharp statistics.

I was reading about costermongers the other day. Meyhew explains that 'costermonhers entertain the most imperfect idea of the sanctity of marriage. To their minds it merely consists in the fact of a man and a woman living together and sharing the gains they may each earn. The expense of a church ceremony is considered as a useless waste of money and the new pair are received by their companions as cordially as if every form of law and religion had been complied with'.

Great stuff. Puts a lot of flesh on the bones.

Just Gillian
12-12-12, 15:59
Thanks for the recommendation Shona. I've just started looking at one of my London lines again so this is perfect timing. Duly ordered!

Jill
12-12-12, 16:26
You're right Shona, it's a very entertaining read. "The Ghost Map" is another good read - all about the cholera epidemics.

Rachel
12-12-12, 16:59
2 lots of mine flit in, but mostly out, of London around the 1840s/50s.
Should make interesting reading and maybe tell me why they didn't stick around too long.

Thank you both

vallee
12-12-12, 22:07
thanks for this thread have just ordered The Ghost Map as I have people that died in the Cholera epidemic in 1854

Shona
12-12-12, 22:46
Highly recommend The Ghost Map.

Nell
13-12-12, 17:15
The Ghost Map is a brilliant book.

tenterfieldjulie
13-12-12, 21:32
Thanks girls .. will have to go online and see if I can find them ..

vallee
14-12-12, 14:25
mine arrived today got it from Amazon if your interested Julie ?

Just Gillian
14-12-12, 21:11
Henry Mayhew's book arrived today. Superfast service from Amazon! Can't wait to get started on it after Christmas.:)

Lilly the flower
15-12-12, 12:47
So did mind :d:d:d, I ordered it on Thursday...:).....looks good....many thanks for the recommendation...:)...Lilly