PDA

View Full Version : John Murton 3 X G Grandfather

borobabs
10-12-12, 18:07
Name - "official" name and what they were known as: John Murton
Date and place of birth: about 1788 Shelfanger, Norfolk

Names of parents: may be John Murton and Frances Allen but this is not certain yet

Date and place of baptism - if applicable: not found

Details of each of his or her marriages - if any: to Ann Turner probably in or before 1820

Occupation(s) - if any: labourer / ag lab
Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!).
1820 - 1832 Shelfanger, Norfolk
1841: The Haywood, Diss, Norfolk
1851: Mount Street, Diss, Norfolk
1861: Walcot Street, Diss, Norfolk

Date, place and cause of death: Jun 1863 Diss, Norfolk

Date and place of burial.: 17 Jun 1863 St Mary's, Diss, Norfolk, age 81

Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable: none
Memorial inscription - if any: not found

kiterunner
10-12-12, 18:35
Okay, so this is his marriage to Ann Turner:

5 May 1813 at All Saints, Tacolneston, Norfolk, John Martin of this parish, singleman and Ann Turner of this parish, spinster, both of age 21, witnesses Robert Martin and Susan Smart.

This marriage is on FreeREG and also the image is available on FamilySearch: Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts 1685-1941 > Norfolk > Archdeaconry of Norfolk > 1813 > T-Y > image 3.

There is this marriage at Tacolneston the following year: 1 Aug 1814 Robert Martin / Susannah Smart, witnesses Sarah Mayes and Henry Thurston.

This is the couple who are next to John and Ann on the 1841 census (under the surname Murton), and I reckon Robert is very likely to be John's brother.

Oh, and I found a couple of baptisms for children of John and Ann who I don't think you had before?
John Martin baptised 29 Aug 1817 All Saints, Tacolneston, parents John Martin husbandman and Anne Turner
Eliza Martin baptised 29 Aug 1817 All Saints, Tacolneston, parents John Martin husbandman and Anne Turner.
I haven't found an image for these yet to see if there is any more info.

Anyway, going back to Robert, there are two possible baptisms for him at Shelfanger (both Robert and John give Shelfanger as their birthplace on the censuses):
Robert Merton baptised 3 Jun 1787 son of Robert and Rebecca
Robert Merton baptised 1 Nov 1789 son of William and Mary.

I haven't found a likely baptism for a John at Shelfanger but I seem to remember some of the images were missing. I'll have another check now. Anyway, I don't think that John Murton senior and Frances Allen, who you posted up on TO4G, are your ancestors.

borobabs
10-12-12, 18:45
Wow so is he a Martin and then mistranscribed as Murton or ther way round ??? what do you think pet , baffled now most trees on ancestry have there marriage as Kemberton

kiterunner
10-12-12, 19:10
I think it is supposed to be Murton / Merton but sometimes written down as Martin.

Most trees on ancestry are wrong! Do any of them have an exact date?

The Archdeacon's Transcripts for Shelfanger miss out the following years: 1783-4, 1790-1, 1792-3 and 1793-4. Some of these years may turn up in the Bishop's Transcripts. The only Merton baptisms I have found at Shelfanger in the AT's so far around the right time are:
1782-3 Mary daughter of William and Mary
1787-8 Robert and Samuel sons of Robert and Rebecca
1789-90 Robert son of William and Mary
1794-5 Edmund son of Robert and Rebecca

But surely both couples must have had some other children in between, so John could belong to either family.

Edit - found 1790-1 in the Bishop's Transcripts and no Mertons.
Found 1792-3 in the BT's and there is Mary, daughter of Robert and Rebecca Merton.
Found 1793-4 in the BT's, no Mertons.

kiterunner
10-12-12, 19:17
Hmm, FamilySearch won't let me look at the Bishop's Transcripts at the moment.

borobabs
10-12-12, 19:19
No they all sort of agree 1809 Kelverton Thats why I would like to get the right people and times not other peoples

Margaret in Burton
10-12-12, 22:18
No they all sort of agree 1809 Kelverton Thats why I would like to get the right people and times not other peoples

They all agree Babs because they have all copied off each other.

borobabs
10-12-12, 22:22
Yes more than likely Marg , but one of them swore he always made double checks , well something didnt strike me right so always left that loosely hanging ;;so well chuffed with Kate on this

Margaret in Burton
10-12-12, 22:49
Yes more than likely Marg , but one of them swore he always made double checks , well something didnt strike me right so always left that loosely hanging ;;so well chuffed with Kate on this

Just because someone says they double check doesn't mean they have. I would always ask for some sort of proof as a source.

borobabs
10-12-12, 23:06
Thats what I didnt look for Marg know better now thank heavens

kiterunner
11-12-12, 09:28
FamilySearch has a burial for Rebecca Murton 18 Sep 1799 at Tivetshall, Norfolk, wife of Robert Murton. Also listed at Blakeney and in the non-conformist indexes as Monthly Meeting of Tivetshall and Diss. One of the entries on Findmypast says Residence Sholshan... but when you click to view the full record, it doesn't show that. I'm betting it says residence Shelfanger on the image. Which wouldn't really help. What I was trying to do (so I don't forget!) was to find burials for members of those two Merton families, and see if any of them had moved to Tacolneston or Diss, like John and Robert did.

borobabs
11-12-12, 11:18
Yes that would be good answer kate but bet we dont get it