PDA

View Full Version : Just what might neice mean?

Phoenix
09-12-12, 22:05
George Musselwhite, son of Richard M & Lucy is baptised 1809 in Wareham (and gives Wareham as bp on at least one census)

George marries Susanna Bryant (daughter of William Bryant & Ann nee Joyner) in Hamworthy, Dorset in 1830

They have several children in Hamworthy, then move to Portsmouth just prior to the 1841 census.

Susanna dies in 1857.

In 1861, the household consists of George, son William [Thomas], daughters Ellen & Louisa and neice Maria Pearce, aged 12.

Maria had grown up a few houses away. Her parents were James Pearce & Maria nee Musselwhite. They married in 1838 in Hamworthy, so Maria M could state her father's name. It was Joseph.

Do I accept that George was simply an honorary uncle? This nest of interrelated relations is doing my head in!

I can't find Joseph's baptism or Richard's marriage. If Joseph M were George M's elder brother, then Maria would fit in as a great neice, but I'm not convinced.

kiterunner
09-12-12, 22:45
It could just mean younger female relative, not necessarily daughter of one's sister or brother.

Phoenix
09-12-12, 23:04
As I had courtesy aunts and uncles when I was small, I shouldn't be surprised. I need lots of large pieces of paper spread out on the floor. I suspect there may also be links on Susan's side, but need a stiff brandy before I work them out.

Merry
10-12-12, 06:41
If Joseph M was the one who appears on various censuses, married to Elizabeth (correct re Maria's bap in 1820) then he was prob born abt 1797.

Richard M (of St Martin in the borough of Wareham) married Lucy Rawlls in 1794 in Bere Regis, so they could be Joseph's parents. I've not found his bap yet though!

Merry
10-12-12, 06:44
Earliest child I've found so far is Thomas in 1800 in Wareham. I bet they had more before that though.

kiterunner
10-12-12, 07:16
There are quite a few public trees on ancestry which show Joseph born about 1796-7 Dorset, son of Richard and Lucy, but they don't have a baptism for him so I'm not sure how they know who his parents were.

By the way, the Pearces are with Joseph and Elizabeth on the 1841 census.

Phoenix
10-12-12, 18:46
Ooh, thank you both!

Phoenix
10-12-12, 21:38
There is Richard, son of Richard Mustlewhite bp Jan 1798, but even that seems a fair distance after the wedding. I know the Bere Regis registers went up in smoke in 1788, but it looks as if they rather lost heart in recording everything.