PDA

View Full Version : Help with Australian record please

Merry
09-12-12, 11:10
Nothing to add to BK6 from this thread

Someone has pinched one of my relatives and taken him to Australia, and given him a second family.

I would like to know what information the tree owner might have to cause him/her to make this incorrect leap from a man who died in Australia and had his children there to my relative who died in the UK and had his children here! (all the children for both men are on the tree and the poor wife dashed back and fourth between Wales and Australia to have her babies!)

This info below sounds like it comes from a death cert:

Henry Nathan Maynard died 6th May 1914 at Mildura, Victoria, Australia
parents Henry Maynard and Rebecca Sargent

and they have also posted links to two Australian e-roll entries post 1903 for Mildura, Wimmera, Victoria, Australia (which would probably also include their Henry Nathan's wife, Sarah Lloyd Thomson.). I cannot view these as I don't have a sub for Austrlaian records.

Something has led them back to my relative, Henry Nathan Maynard b 1835 Whittlesford, Cambridgeshire. His parents were Nathan and Catherine and his wife was Sarah Allen. My HNM died in the UK in 1899.

I guess the main thing I'm wondering is, if their Henry had the middle name Nathan on any record as it's not that common a combination.

Sorry for the rant!

kiterunner
09-12-12, 11:26
The Victoria BMD site does have a Henry Maynard who died in 1914 at Mildura, but not Henry Nathan, and it says his father's name was not given as Henry and his mother's name was not given as Rebecca. You can search for free on the site but you have to pay to view results, so what I do is keep clicking "refine search" and trying different searches to see whether it says there is a match or not.

https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/index-search

kiterunner
09-12-12, 11:28
Okay, and on ancestry they have a marriage 1860 Henry Maynard and Sarah Thompson (no middle names) in Wagga Wagga, NSW.

kiterunner
09-12-12, 11:30
The Australian Birth Index on ancestry has lots of children with parents called Henry and Sarah Maynard but none of the Henrys has a middle name of Nathan.

kiterunner
09-12-12, 11:32
On the e roll at Mildura he is just Henry Maynard, with Sarah Lloyd Maynard and James Thomson Maynard.

kiterunner
09-12-12, 11:43
Erm, that tree has him living in Monmouthshire in 1871 and London in 1891, but the Henry and Sarah on those censuses don't have millions of children born in Australia!

Merry
09-12-12, 14:28
No, exactly!

Thanks for clarifying that the Australian man doesn't seem to have a middle name.

The people on the census are mine and they only had a few children and never left the country. I was being sarcastic when I said the mum was darting between continents!

I was just trying to understand why they would confuse two different couples and really I still don't know why, given their man didn't have a niddle name. If they had bothered to look at Henry Nathan's baptism or the 1851 census they would see his parents were not Henry and Rebecca either!

Thanks again for helping, Kate.

Mary from Italy
09-12-12, 17:39
The Victoria BMD site does have a Henry Maynard who died in 1914 at Mildura, but not Henry Nathan, and it says his father's name was not given as Henry and his mother's name was not given as Rebecca.

I think you get the same result if the parents' names aren't stated on the cert.

Mary from Italy
09-12-12, 17:42
I would be tempted to contact the tree owner anyway and see what sources they have, bearing in mind that Australian death and marriage certs usually give the person's birthplace and parents' names.

kiterunner
09-12-12, 17:44
There is a Wm Maynard death in Victoria 1883, age 61, with parents Hy Maynard and Rebecca Sargent, so I expect those names are correct. The death index entry for Henry Maynard who died in 1914 is on ancestry but I didn't spot it before because his name is Hy on there, and it doesn't show his parents' names.

Merry
09-12-12, 18:27
I would be tempted to contact the tree owner anyway and see what sources they have, bearing in mind that Australian death and marriage certs usually give the person's birthplace and parents' names.

I will contact them, but I expect they will not be impressed to know they have stolen my relative! lol My Maynards were the only ones in Whittlesford.

There is a Wm Maynard death in Victoria 1883, age 61, with parents Hy Maynard and Rebecca Sargent, so I expect those names are correct. The death index entry for Henry Maynard who died in 1914 is on ancestry but I didn't spot it before because his name is Hy on there, and it doesn't show his parents' names.

I've not found some other trees which include the marriage of their Henry to Sarah Lloyd Thomson in 1860 in Australia. No one else seems to have Henry's birthplace - not even a country, though some do have the parents. Only one tree has the William you mention, Kate!

marquette
09-12-12, 20:33
I would be tempted to leave a "comment" on that ancestry tree asking How Henry and Sarah could afford to sail back and forward between England and Victoria so often as it usually cost more than the average person could afford. Sometimes a general comment like that, rather than asking directly, where did you get your info, get a better result.

I see Emma was born in Monmouthshire, the same year that Alexander was born in South Australia !! Not a lot of logic going on there !

If you search ancestry family trees for James Thomson Maynard, on a different tree, his parents are given as Henry Savage Maynard and Sarah Lloyd Thomson.

NSW BDMs website is down at the moment, and I have to go to work but I will look again later

Diane

Merry
09-12-12, 21:42
Ah, the tree with Henry Savage Maynard looks a lot more sensible.

Jenthec
17-01-13, 04:00
The Australian tree on ancestry lists an entry from the 1861Wales census which lists Merry's Henry N Maynard (27) b.Whittleford, Cambridgeshire m. Sarah b. Cambridge along with Henry's sister Jane and Bro Frederick. Maybe this is where the confusion arose?? I could get an online copy of the 1914 Victorian death registration but it would be a cost. Probably better the message the owner of the ancestry tree and 'discuss' the confusion..... Happy New Year to all , Jenny