PDA

View Full Version : "Stationed at" ?

Muggins in Sussex
31-10-09, 13:48
This person is described on his marriage certificate in 1948 as "Stationed at Lubeck Schleswig Holstein" and in the wedding photograph is wearing what look like an army uniform.

I had always assumed that this meant he was in the Army.

But could he have been working for the Save the Children Fund instead?

Thank you

Mary from Italy
31-10-09, 14:37
I don't think the SCF wear uniforms. Salvation Army, maybe? Not sure if they work abroad.

Muggins in Sussex
31-10-09, 14:50
Thanks Mary - it looks like a British Army uniform to me - it's just that I was told he wa sin Germany working for the Save the Children Fund - for various reasons, I am sure it would not have been the Salvation Army.

Assuming this person was in the army, another thing is puzzling me....He wouldn't have joined up until at least mid-1945, as he was a registered conscientious objector. So would he be regarded as a WW2 veteran?

Rachel
31-10-09, 16:40
This person is described on his marriage certificate in 1948 as "Stationed at Lubeck Schleswig Holstein" and in the wedding photograph is wearing what look like an army uniform.

Are you able to chop off his head (or identifying bits) and show us the uniform ?

Muggins in Sussex
31-10-09, 16:51
Rachel, thanks

I "snuck" the photo - it is quite clear on my PC but when it is uploaded to photobucket, it is barely recognisable :eek:

Rachel
31-10-09, 17:01
Rachel, thanks

I "snuck" the photo - it is quite clear on my PC but when it is uploaded to photobucket, it is barely recognisable :eek:

Joan ~ do you want to email it to me ?
That way you won't need to go through PBucket

will pm my address in case you've lost it

buzzing off for the evening but will be back !

Nell
31-10-09, 20:00
"stationed at..." isn't an occupation, it's a statement of location!

Muggins in Sussex
01-11-09, 08:17
Joan ~ do you want to email it to me ?
That way you won't need to go through PBucket

will pm my address in case you've lost it

buzzing off for the evening but will be back !

Thanks Rachel - have e-mailed you

"stationed at..." isn't an occupation, it's a statement of location!

Hi Nell - not sure why but I always assumed "stationed at" was a term which referred to the arned forces :o:o:o

Nell
01-11-09, 10:02
Hi Muggins, it certainly sounds military. What I meant was, its a shame they didn't give his rank and regiment. Even if it just said "soldier" or "gunner" you'd have more to go on.

Muggins in Sussex
01-11-09, 18:11
Sorry Nell - I think I misunderstood :o - Am getting increasingly dippy these days :d

Nell
01-11-09, 21:54
Join the club, Muggins!!!!

Muggins in Sussex
15-08-10, 12:04
I believe I have at last solved this :)

The person was working for the Red Cross, and wearing a Red Cross uniform.

http://www.nowpublic.com/world/nowpublic-reporter-erik-historical-red-cross-uniform (this is not the person in question) - but it looks just like the uniform!

Margaret in Burton
15-08-10, 13:08
You managed to have a bit of a rummage then yesterday Joan.:):)

Muggins in Sussex
15-08-10, 13:13
No, Margaret - LOL :d - I actually asked and was told!!!!! - couldn't believe it!

Apparently the person working with ill and abandoned Polish children in a hospital in Schleswig-Holstein - my opinion of the person has now changed again somewhat - again!

Nell
15-08-10, 15:10
Well done, Joan!

Uncle John
15-08-10, 21:22
It was possibly an army posting for a civilian war relief job. A lot of the people who got recruited for "secret" wartime work such as Dennis Wheatley were given courtesy army ranks.

Muggins in Sussex
16-08-10, 05:20
Thanks UJ - hadn't thought of that.

The story I was told was very sad. It was that the British Army was so desperate to hand over the care of these children that they would let anyone do it - and some of the voluteers did so with unpleasant motives, with the result that children were abused. These volunteers were quickly sent home, but only after the damage had been done.

Olde Crone
16-08-10, 06:53
Muggins

I am afraid that the care of children has always attracted those with ulterior motives.

At least in this case the abusers were dismissed...in many other institutions a blind eye was turned.

OC

Kit
16-08-10, 07:23
No, Margaret - LOL :d - I actually asked and was told!!!!! - couldn't believe it!

Apparently the person working with ill and abandoned Polish children in a hospital in Schleswig-Holstein - my opinion of the person has now changed again somewhat - again!

I'm glad you got a straight answer and that it was a positive for you.

Have you thought of approaching the Red Cross to see what records they may hold of the person?

Merry
16-08-10, 12:14
I actually asked and was told!!!!!

Maybe more of that would work?

Muggins in Sussex
17-08-10, 05:46
I'm glad you got a straight answer and that it was a positive for you.

Have you thought of approaching the Red Cross to see what records they may hold of the person?

Thanks Toni - I will do that :)

Maybe more of that would work?

It's never been as simple as that before, Merry, but I'll keep trying :) -