PDA

View Full Version : Thank you to the Mormons

JBee
06-12-12, 14:26
I would personally like to thank all the LDS people who have collated so much information and made it available to people like me to research their family trees. I know the reasons for their research but it's still extremely helpful.

I have ordered films and gone to the the FHC to look at them and have been treated very well by people in charge and the patrons there and have been given loads of help and tips without any pressure regarding their religion. One poor man was upset when researching his own family tree contacted someone on a forum who refused to give him the info because he'd said he was a Mormon. What a shame

kiterunner
06-12-12, 14:57
Maybe the person he had contacted didn't want him to retrospectively baptise his relatives into the Mormon faith, Julie.

JBee
06-12-12, 15:38
Yes probably that's the reason though the help I've been given hasn't led to that.

Nell
06-12-12, 17:10
I think the resource is fantastic and I'm fortunate enough to be able to visit the Family History Centre in London, which was brilliant as they have so much information on microfilm. So I was rather pleased in a way to find that my gt x 4 grandfather Robert Chapple Shill converted to Mormonism and emigrated to America. Many of his children followed suit, but my gt x 3 grandmother remained C of E here.

Guinevere
06-12-12, 17:26
I wouldn't have got very far at all without the LDS centre in Coventry

Asa
06-12-12, 17:42
I'm very grateful too. I know it upsets some people that their ancestors have been rebaptised into another faith but it doesn't worry me - I see it as a bit of nonsense and I'm sure my ancestors won't be bothered...

Olde Crone
06-12-12, 17:45
I owe the LDS a huge debt of gratitude and wouldn't have got anywhere without them.

Like Asa, I see posthumous baptism as a piece of harmless nonsense and it is certainly no dafter than baptising a baby into a faith of its parents choosing - that baby has no more choice about baptism than does a dead person!

OC

Guinevere
06-12-12, 17:57
Also, the LDS say that people baptised posthumously can decline the baptism.

Asa
06-12-12, 19:09
Do they really?!

Guinevere
06-12-12, 19:51
Yup. It was explained to me when I asked about it. When the day of judgement arrives you can accept or decline the baptism.

Asa
06-12-12, 20:26
Gosh

Mary from Italy
06-12-12, 20:44
You don't have to be a Mormon to transcribe for them. I've been doing quite a bit of voluntary transcribing for them recently because I've used their local centre so much in the last few years, and hardly ever paid anything.

kiterunner
06-12-12, 22:47
Yes, I've done some transcribing for them too. One of the current projects is Queensland burials.

Kit
07-12-12, 01:15
I've been doing Queensland burials too. I did them ages ago and came back to it last week. There is a whole different look to it now.