PDA

View Full Version : Arrggg!!! How are these people related?

Shona
05-12-12, 21:30
I've spent the day trying (and not doing v well :() to untangled my Colonsay kin. In doing so, I came across this account...

'Colonsay emigrants boarded the Spencer to cross the Atlantic in clusters of extended kin.

Three infant girls baptised on 23 February 1806 provide good examples. Margaret Bell was accompanied by four sisters (5 to 13 years old), a brother (3 years old), her mother and father John, with his father and two brothers.

More complicated was the genealogical labyrinth surrounding second-cousins Mary Currie and Catherine Munn.

Sixty-year-old Duncan Munn and 58-year-old Flora Brown went with six of their children, married and unmarried-Malcolm, Neil, James, Angus, Ann and Effy; Angus had married Margaret McNeill in 1803, baptising Catherine in 1806.

Margaret McNeill's 51-year-old father, Malcolm McNeill, travelled with three married siblings and all of their respective children, plus children's children; his sister, 40-year-old Mary, had married Duncan McDuff whose daughter Nancy (or Annie) married James Currie in 1804, baptising Mary in 1806.

Such convolutions of kinship and support did not stop there. Malcolm's brother Dougald McNeill was married to Flora McMillan whose brother Malcolm was married to Grisael (or Grace) McNeill, sister of Malcolm and Dougald. With Malcolm McMillan and Grisael McNeill were no less than ten children, including Elizabeth (or Betty) married to James Munn.'

*weeps*

kiterunner
05-12-12, 22:10
Think you will need to draw it on a piece of paper, Shona, or maybe make a 3d model!

Shona
05-12-12, 22:32
The gene pool seems to have been a puddle.