PDA

View Full Version : The Blues are giving me the (very moody) Blues

Shona
05-12-12, 13:21
I'm struggling with my Blues on the island of Colonsay, Argyll. This is what I have from the census records.

1841 census:

Riskbuie
Rebecca Blue, 35
Katherine Blue, 8
Neil Blue, 6
Iver Blue, 3
Duncan, 3 months
- All born in county

1851 census:

Reskbue
Rebecca Blue, head, unmarried, 48, pauper
Neil McPhyden, son, 16, at home
Iver Blue, son, 12, scholar
Duncan McPhyden, son, 10, scholar
Ann McNeill, daughter, married, 24,
Ann McNiell, grandchild, 1
- All born on the island of Colonsay

Rebecca also had a daughter named Mary McNeill in about 1822. There may be other children.

I've tried and tried and can't find any baptism records for Rebecca's children.

Rebecca herself was baptised 'Beckie' on 12 April 1801 to Alexander Blue and Jeny Ross.

Rebecca's death certificiate in 1859 states that she was single and the informant was 'Edward Blue, illegitimate son.' Edward is the English form of Iver.

The minister wasn't based on the island. He visit Colonsay about three or four times a year, conducted mass baptisms, made notes and then completed the register later.

Compared to other parish records for Argyll, I'm struck that there seem to be very few illegitimate children on the baptismal registers for Colonsay. From 1797 to 1855, there is just one 'natural' birth (1837) and one illegitimate birth (1850). Perhaps a prudish minister baptised all the 'natural' children, but neglected to enter them on the register.

View and opinions, please. Should I continue searching or accept that there are no baptism records for Rebecca's children?

kiterunner
05-12-12, 13:32
The minister wasn't based on the island. He visit Colonsay about three or four times a year, conducted mass baptisms, made notes and then completed the register later.

Do you know whether his notes have survived, Shona?

Shona
05-12-12, 13:43
Sadly, no. There are Kirk Session records, but they date from 1881.

kiterunner
05-12-12, 13:48
I have certainly come across English parish registers where the illegitimate children's baptisms seem to have been written on a special "naughty" page which wasn't copied out into the Bishop's Transcripts.