View Full Version : David Moyes - MFMFF

Shona
04-12-12, 17:50
Name:
David Moyes

Born:
11 October 1808 in Inverkeithing, Fife

Parents:
David Moyes and Helen Carfrae/Guthrie (variant spellings)

Married:
Elizabeth Mathieson on 28 May 1832 in Edinburgh

Ag lab. From 1861, stone quarryman

Lived in:
1841 Inverkeithing
1851 Inverkeithing
1861 Scott's Mill, Inverkeithing
1871 Hillend village, Inverkeithing
1881 ?
1891 Hillend village, Inverkeithing

Date, place and cause of death:
Died on 11 March 1901, aged 92, at Hillend. Widower of Elizabeth Mathewson. Cause: Chronic bronchitis, senile debility. Informant: Stewart Moyes (son)

Buried:
Not known

Memorial Inscription:
Not known

Will:
Died intestate. Inventory of his estate registered in 1903. One of the items is a share in the estate of James Moyes, a grocer and wine merchant of North Berwick - £270 7s 6d.

kiterunner
05-12-12, 14:18
There is a David Moyes (FMP) or Morfes (ancestry) age 71 at Hillend village, Inverkeithing, on the 1881 census, but his birthplace is Lawhead or Loanhead, and his occupation is grocer. A widower with nobody else in the household.

Shona
05-12-12, 14:30
I have a note that David Moyes was a master grocer at some point, but had discounted the info as I thought it was a bit of a leap to go from being a quarryman to a grocer. However, nothing else seems to fit, so possibly an error was made regarding place of birth.

kiterunner
05-12-12, 15:04
I have a note that David Moyes was a master grocer at some point, but had discounted the info as I thought it was a bit of a leap to go from being a quarryman to a grocer.

I seem to remember in the latest series of Who Do You Think You Are, someone's ancestor was listed on the census as "Quarryman and Grocer", but they focussed on the Quarryman part and ignored the Grocer part!

*Googles - yes, it was in the William Roache episode.*