PDA

View Full Version : Maria Trusler - a bad girl!

Phoenix
02-12-12, 12:20
Maria was bp 27 Feb 1827, the daughter of William Trusler and Maria Sworn

She had to get married, 22 Apr 1844 to John Horne in Salisbury and the first of her many children was born 31 October 1844. She was illiterate and the spellings of both surnames differ at John's birth from those used at the marriage.

Maria continually appears in newspapers and criminal records, sometimes turning up at court with a baby at her breast. Most of her sentences were for short periods of time, presumably for the sake of the children, but they do get longer and longer.

The family move away from Salisbury to the New Forest, where several children are born c 1860, but this has no effect on Maria's behaviour (her brothers were just as bad and appear in the same records)

She is finally sent to Millbank Prison in London. In 1871, her husband is living close to the In Laws and declares himself a widower, so I searched unsuccessfully for her death, before the advent of online censuses, when I found her in prison (the first time my family ever got interested in their ancestors!)

When she emerged from prison, she was sent first to a refuge before returning to her husband. They decided to move again and settled in Bourton.

Maria died 2 Feb 1894 in Bourton, Dorset, of bedsores.

There is no will and I suspect no gravestone. John Horne, her son ran away from home and I suspect broke off contact with the family by the mid 1870s. I have her on all the censuses and imagine I know more about her fate than John may have done.

maggie_4_7
02-12-12, 14:18
Sometimes Family History can be quite depressing but that story gives me some faith that the things happening now have always happened rather than a breakdown in today's society its probably more to do with character, could be nurture could be psychological who knows.

Phoenix
02-12-12, 17:18
The fact that the family kept on moving suggests that Maria's behaviour was not regarded as excusable by her neighbours.

On the other hand, John was supposed to have run away because his father beat him, so goodness knows what pressures she was under at home.

In one of the newspaper accounts you can see the magistrate bending over backwards to make the right decision. Even Millbank was designed to exert a reforming influence.

You can learn so much but, as you say, you really can't tell what prompted such behaviour. I incline to think you have to accept the judgement of their peers, however flawed that is.