PDA

View Full Version : Is this the correct McGlary family? Opinions, please.

Shona
01-12-12, 12:18
My 3x great grandfather's Thomas McGlary was born in Ireland in c1824. His parents were Hugh (or Thomas) McGlarry and Margaret nee McLaughlin, also born in Ireland.

I've been trying to find both families in Ireland and have discovered the following:

1803 Agricultural census of Antrim:
Robert McGlarry, Drimnamallog, Culfeightrin
Thomas McGlarry, Coulnagoppog, Culfeightrin
John McLarry, Coulnagoppog, Culfeightrin

1820-21 Tenant farmers in Coulnagoppog:
John McGlarry
James McKarry
Patrick McLaughlin
Patrick McLaughlin jr

1837 Tithe lists for Coulnagoppog:
John McLarry
James McLarry
Archie McLaughlin

1849 The following names disappeared as tenants:
James McKarry
Archibald McLaughlin
The landowner, the Earl of Antrim, gave tenants an ultimatum regarding rents. They had to sign or leave Coulnagoppog.

1859 Griffiths valuation:
John McLarry, Coulnagoppog
Hugh McGlarry, Ballyreagh Lower, Culfeightrin
Margaret McGlarry, Ballyreagh Lower, Culfeightrin
Catherine McGlarry, 5 Harriet Lane, Townpaks, Ramoan

I haven't been able to find Thomas McGlary in the Scottish census records in 1841 or 1851. He married Mary McNeill and their first child was born in Greenock in Scotland in c1852.

I'd assumed he was in Ireland family in 1841 and possibly 1851.

Hugh and Margaret McGlarry above look likely as his parents, but how to I prove this as birth and marriage records for this family are proving elusive.

kiterunner
01-12-12, 15:53
Have you already checked for wills, Shona?

Shona
01-12-12, 16:14
Sorry - I haven't been able to find any wills relating to the McGlary family.

kiterunner
01-12-12, 16:23
There is one on the PRONI site which may be connected:

Administration (with the Will) of the personal estate of Mary M'Glary late of Cooinagoppoge County Antrim Spinster who died 1 May 1893 granted at Belfast to Mary M'Mullan of Coolnagoppoge Spinster the Universal Legatee.

But the only relative she mentions is Mary McMullan her niece.

http://applications.proni.gov.uk/DCAL_PRONI_WillsCalendar/WillsSearch.aspx

I can't see anything on the image about administration being granted, just a copy of the actual will, so I wonder if there is another document which isn't online (the letter of administration) that might have more information.

The witnesses to the will were John McMullan and James McMullan. I wonder whether they are her nephews and these are all children of a McGlary who married a McMullan.

kiterunner
01-12-12, 16:36
There is a death registration for Mary M'Glary Apr-Jun 1892 Ballycastle district, age 70, so if the year on the probate info is wrong that could be her and she could be Thomas's sister. But no mention of Thomas and his family in the will (unless Mary McMullan is Thomas's daughter?) I don't think that Mary M'Glary's death cert is likely to help much although it might give her father's name. But even if it says her father was Hugh, that won't prove it is the same Hugh.

Also there is a death registration for Hugh M'Glarry in 1871 in Ballycastle district, age 67. But since Thomas was in Scotland long before then, the death cert isn't likely to help prove whether it is the right family. And he doesn't seem to have left a will.

Shona
01-12-12, 17:37
Thanks for that info

I think I have this women in my records:

1863-1879 rent books:
Mary McLarry, paying rent for land at Coulnagoppog

1864-1877 Griffiths:
Mary McLarry, Coulnagoppog

1877-1891 Griffiths:
Mary McLarry, Coulnagoppog

I'll look into this, but as you say, even if the names are right, it isn't proof!

kiterunner
01-12-12, 17:57
You could try asking on here:
http://www.irelandxo.com/