PDA

View Full Version : Another go at this lot....maybe Lancs.

HarrysMum
26-11-12, 23:11
Hugh Addison married Jane Scales.

I don't know where or when, but Jane's parents were Robert Scales and Agnes Mackreth both of Hawkshead, Lancs. They married in 1648.

Hugh and Jane Addison had a daughter, Agnes. Once again, I've not found any record of this.

Agnes Addison married William Kirkby in Hawkshead 1727.

They had two children, David and Jane.

I'm trying to find anything about Hugh Addison. He died in 1743 Hawkshead.

All my info is from wills and I'm certain it is correct as maiden names etc are recorded.

Also Hugh and Jane Addison must have had other children, at least one son as grandchildren, Sara, Ann, Agnes and Mary Addison are mentioned, as well as Edward Addison of London. He was under 21 in 1743 and i think the girls were his sisters as the will states if he dies before his 21st birthday then his sisters get the money.

I've tried FMP, Family Search, Ancestry, Lancs OPC.

Any other ideas???

Janet
27-11-12, 02:28
http://www30.us.archive.org/stream/registersofparis00over#page/n9/mode/2up

Libby, in The registers of the parish church of Over Kellet in the County of Lancaster, 1648-1812 I find:

Baptisms, 1729:
Hugh, s. of Robt Addison & Dorothy his wife, 9 Feby [the actual birth?], 22 Feby

Burialls [sic.], 1744:
Hugh Addison, 3 March
I wonder if there could have been two Hughs? These dates make him awfully young! And if this is your Hugh who died in 1743, I guess maybe they couldn't bury the poor boy until the ground thawed. :(

In case you can't get into that link, I've sent you an email. :)

HarrysMum
27-11-12, 02:54
Good try Janet....but my Hugh was a grandfather in 1743 when he died. He was also buried in 1743.

Janet
27-11-12, 03:01
My Over Kellet Hugh Addison is a red herring, then.

http://archive.org/stream/hawksheadthenort00cowpuoft#page/428/mode/2up

Here's another one. This one is from Hawkshead, which you mentioned is where your William Kirkby is from. Hugh Addison appears on pg. 429, and I see a couple mentions for a William Kirkby there too. Can you get into the link?

HarrysMum
27-11-12, 03:09
Thanks Janet...Yes, I've got that link. I think we are related to nearly everyone in it....lol

I'm actually wondering if Hugh was born elsewhere and maybe Agnes as well.

These were families with serious money...later marrying with the Ariels and Eyres etc...

HarrysMum
27-11-12, 03:11
Janet...can you open this??

http://books.google.com.au/books?ei=Rz20UI3eD-OJmQXY_4GIDQ&id=SpZCAAAAYAAJ&dq=%22hugh+addison%22+lancashire&q=%22hugh+addison%22+

I can only get useless snippets..

Janet
27-11-12, 03:16
Got this?

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=025-bdbroughton&cid=-1#-1

Affidavit of Hugh Addison of Hawkshead, gentleman aged 78 years BD Broughton/18/2/5 1739

Contents:
He lived in Broughton-in-Furness for 50 years and remembers the curates being Mr Wainhouse, Mr Muncaster, Mr Sidgewick, Mr Taylor and Mr Wright. Nomination was by the sidesmen and principal inhabitants of Broughton. The land owners and house owners of Seathwaite never interfered with the nominations, 9 August 1739.

That at least gives you an approximate birth year of 1661.

HarrysMum
27-11-12, 03:24
Ooh ta...

Janet
27-11-12, 03:27
Janet...can you open this??

http://books.google.com.au/books?ei=Rz20UI3eD-OJmQXY_4GIDQ&id=SpZCAAAAYAAJ&dq=%22hugh+addison%22+lancashire&q=%22hugh+addison%22+

I can only get useless snippets..

Not having any luck. :(

HarrysMum
27-11-12, 03:31
Thanks anyway...

Merry
27-11-12, 06:18
So if Agnes Addison m Wm Kirkby in 1727 one might imagine she was b around the turn of the century-ish.

Her mother's parents were married back in 1648 though, so it's unlikely Jane Scales (Agnes's mother) was their first-born or she would have been very old when she had Agnes, unless Agnes was older at marriage.So, in general these couples probably had several children each?

In your other thread you said:

Jane Addison was the wife of Hugh Addison (which would make her possibly Jane Chippindall)

So, how do the two Hugh's fit together? Are Hugh Addison and Jane Chippendale the parents of the Hugh who married Jane Scales? If so, then we have two sets of parents marrying a long way apart....Hugh (who married Jane Scales) parents married in 1682 and Jane Scales parents married in 1648. So Hugh might have been born about 1684 and perhaps fathered Agnes in the v early 1700s, but Jane Scales would have to be born late in her parents marriage for that to work (say after then had been married 25 years, so 1673) making her at least ten years older than Hugh. Have I gone wrong somewhere?

Merry
27-11-12, 06:25
Edward Addison of London was under 21 in 1743

Was Hugh's will written in the year he died?

Phoenix
27-11-12, 07:16
In the C17th parish records are notoriously difficult and I think I have only a single line I can carry through solely on that evidence.

There are, however, lots of other records which can at least give you rough ideas of age (even if 15-64!)

Hearth Tax, subsidy rolls, militia lists, Association Oath Rolls, Free & Voluntary Gift, Recusant Rolls etc etc etc. No idea how well your area is covered, but a lot of records are published. Not to mention, if Hugh called himself a gentleman, Visitations.

HarrysMum
27-11-12, 08:05
Sorry Merry...two different Hugh Addisons marrying Janes.

That earlier one was Jane Chippendall (I think)

This thread is definitely Jane Scales marrying Hugh Addison. I think they married some time around 1707. This is because Robert Scales will is dated 1707 (died 1708) and he names his daughter, Jane and son in law Hugh Addison, but does not name their children, where he does name other grandies....so I'm presuming the children were not born at that stage.

HarrysMum
27-11-12, 08:06
Just to add I have no idea if the earlier Hugh is part of this line........it's Lancashire in the 1600s......Addison is not an uncommon name..

Merry
27-11-12, 09:22
So if Jane Scales only had children after 1707 and her parents were married in 1648 ........probably the latest she might have been born is 1673 (and more than likely before that), and so would have been 35ish before she had her first child?

Was Hugh's will written in the year he died? (ie 1743)

HarrysMum
27-11-12, 09:42
Hugh's will was written 9th Nov 1742. He was buried 24th Aug 1743.

Robert Scales will was dated 13 June 1707 and probate was 28 Oct 1708.

Merry
27-11-12, 09:52
Robert Scales will was dated 13 June 1707 and probate was 28 Oct 1708

He was quite old then. Did he mention any Addison grandchildren in his will?

HarrysMum
27-11-12, 10:00
No Addison grandies, which is why I think Hugh and Jane may not have been married long.
He (Robert Scale/s) mentions his grandchildren Agnes Taylor, Margaret Taylor, Ann Taylor and Rowland Taylor. They were the children of Robert's daughter Elizabeth, wife of Edward Taylor.

He also mentions a couple of Scale/s grandies, so that's why I don't think Hugh and Jane had children by this time.

JBee
27-11-12, 10:27
Could it have been a second marriage and the children mentioned from the first?

HarrysMum
27-11-12, 10:54
It's only Hugh I'm after and of course when and where his kids were born. Maybe the Peerage will have his marriage. I'll check that.

The Scale/s family is well documented in various history books.

Merry
27-11-12, 12:10
So as far as Hugh's will is concerned, Hugh Addison and Jane Scales only had one surviving child, Agnes, which would support the idea that Jane was not a youthful bride?!!

Agnes Addison married William Kirkby in Hawkshead 1727.

They had two children, David and Jane.

Did they also have a son called William?

This baptism record definitely sounds like things were being kept in the family!

Baptism: 19 Aug 1784 St John the Baptist, Blawith, Lancashire, England
William Kirkby - son of William Kirkby & Mary Addison
Born: 25 Aug 1784
Abode: Watergate
Notes: William Kirkby son William Kirkby of said Watergate by Agnes his wife. Mary dau John Addison of ?? Taylor by Jane his wife
Register: Baptism 1746 - 1812 from the Bishops Transcripts, Page 38, Entry 3
Source: LDS Film 1040311

Mary from Italy
27-11-12, 12:16
The Lancashire 1664 Hearth Tax records should be online soon, which should at least give you an idea which Addisons were in Hawkshead then.

http://www.hearthtax.org.uk/index.html

Merry
27-11-12, 12:23
This should keep you quiet!

www.history-of-kirkby.org/Chatsworth%202006.pdf

Obviously I don't know they are the same people but there are lots of refs to an Agnes Kirkby and also a William Kirkby and Mary Addison.

HarrysMum
27-11-12, 18:11
William Kirkby, son of David Kirkby and Elizabeth Sawrey, married Agnes Addiosn, daughter of Hugh Addison and Jane Scale/s, 1727 in Hawkshead.

William and Agnes had two children (only found two anyway) Jane 1728 and David 1730.

David, born 1730 was the one who's girlfriend, Mary Rigge had their baby and he refused to marry her so she died of a broken heart a year later and Wordsworth wrote a ballad about her.

David later married Agatha Sawrey in 1762.

They had several children.....William, 1763, is on the PRs as son of David and AGNES. However if you go to the BTs, it has been fixed, saying he was the son of David and AGATHA, and that AGNES was his grandmother.......I really like that Bishop....lol

I'll take a look at your link Merry.

HarrysMum
27-11-12, 18:15
Merry...I have seen that link and as for keeping it in the family.......lol

One side of the Sawreys had no sons so one of the daughters married a fellow who had to change his name to Sawrey to keep the family name going.....I found that little story in the British Museum notes...

Merry
27-11-12, 18:31
So if that Wm is also their son he would have been quite old when he married, but wasn't David also an older groom?

EDIT Just read your post again - only 32.

I suppose Wm Kirkby only mentioned two children in his will? Just seems a massive coincidence otherwise.

HarrysMum
27-11-12, 18:55
Can't put my hands on Wm Kirkby's will. It might still be in Tenterfield (we are only half moved...lol)

I have David Kirkby's will of 1812. I also have Ann Kirkby's will. She was one of David's daughters and a good will because she never married...lol. She was living in Bristol when she died.
It's quite funny that even though this lot spread all over the place to Bristol, Wales, Devon, etc, they still have the same surnames in the wills....

It was David Kirkby's daughter Elizabeth who married William Ariel.

I'll see if I can find that will.

HarrysMum
27-11-12, 19:53
Well...thought I had Wm Kikrby's will, but it's not on my computer so maybe not.

I suppose I could have a hard copy I haven't got onto the computer but that seems odd.

And the reason I haven't found it is I don't have William's date of death!!!! Oh dear!!!

HarrysMum
27-11-12, 19:59
And.......(grammar police will be on to me) I have no idea which burial it is. Seems there's a few William Kirkby deaths and a few Agnes Kirkby deaths that match.....

Passing around wine and cool cloths for heads.....

Merry
27-11-12, 20:18
*Gratefully accepts wine!*

HarrysMum
27-11-12, 20:24
You drink.....I'm off to the bank to borrow enough for all these wills I need to eliminate the wrong Williams.....lol

Merry
28-11-12, 06:26
These two see the most likely burials for Agnes:

Burial: 12 Jul 1776 St Michael and All Angels, Hawkshead, Lancashire, England
Agnes Kirkby, Widw -
Abode: Thwaite Conistone

Burial: 18 Feb 1781 St John the Baptist, Blawith, Lancashire, England
Agnes Kirkby, widow -
Died: 15 Feb 1781
Abode: Wateryeat

That last one has a will (Lancs wills index):

Furness Kirkby Agnes of Water Yeat in Blawith, widow Furness 1781

And as both of those say widow, these three for Wm:

Burial: 1 May 1769 St Michael and All Angels, Hawkshead, Lancashire, England
William Kirkby -
Abode: Thwaite Conistone

Burial: 4 Apr 1753 St John the Baptist, Blawith, Lancashire, England
William Kirkby -
Abode: Birkrow

Will:

Furness Kirkby William of Birkrow in Blawith, yeoman Furness 1754

Burial: 23 Jun 1756 St John the Baptist, Blawith, Lancashire, England
Willm. Kirkby -
Abode: Wateryeat

Will:

Furness Kirkby William of Wateryeat in Blawith, yeoman Furness 1756

I'm thinking the Hawkshead burials are less likely as they didn't seem to have wills, so I'd go with 1781 for Agnes and initially 1756 for Wm as he has the same address as the 1781 Agnes.

HarrysMum
28-11-12, 09:30
Can't get into the Lancs Wills site at the mo. There are wills for most of those I think Merry.

Merry
28-11-12, 11:35
There are wills for most of those I think Merry.

I know - I've posted the will details inbetween the burials.

Merry
28-11-12, 12:10
On the other hand :D this doc suggests that Agnes Kirkby (possibly the one who died in 1781) might have been nee Woodburne :o

www.history-of-kirkby.org/BorthwickFilm1648202.pdf

Edit: there's a Mary Rigg mentioned in that last doc!

garstonite
03-12-12, 22:13
Re - Merrys post with the Thwaite, Conistone abodes

Agnes Addison baptised 29th january 1797 St Michael and All Angels,Hawkshead
daughter of Thomas
abode Boonecragg , Conistone .....were you aware there was another Agnes Addison

baptised 23rd august 1835 same church - Agnes Addison dau of Agnes Addison single woman
abode Claife Poorhouse
are either of these 2 in your clan ?
allan

HarrysMum
05-12-12, 22:54
Thanks Allan, but I doubt it. Lancs is full of Addisons and Sawreys and Kirkbys....lol

Certainly not the the daughter of a "single woman".....lol

My Agnes is definitely the daughter of Hugh and Jane (Scale/s).