PDA

View Full Version : Help please

paulthurston
30-10-09, 19:16
Im just starting out to attempt to trace my family tree,the downside is i have no living relatives other than my younger brother.Can anyone advise where to start?
I do know my parents full names and D.O.B

Georgette
30-10-09, 19:37
Hello Paul and welcome to the site :)

Do you have your parents' marriage and birth certificates?

borobabs
31-10-09, 09:44
Hello Paul and welcome to the site , as Helen says have go got there marriage cert that will give you bothe there fathers names and occupations ;;;??

Nell
31-10-09, 20:10
The golden rule is to start with what you know and work back to what you don't. There are zillions of "getting started" sections on family history websites, in family history magazines, and books at your local library.

I'd say that not having living rellies isn't necessarily a handicap, because the info they give you about Uncle Lemmy dying in Norfolk and Great Aunt Emily never marrying generally turn out to be wrong!

paulthurston
01-11-09, 20:30
Hello Paul and welcome to the site :)

Do you have your parents' marriage and birth certificates?

No,sorri i dont have any certification other than my mums death cert. I know both parents dob's and wedding date? So where would i go next ?:)

borobabs
01-11-09, 20:39
Paul birth records give you there mothers name and maiden name and fathers name and occupation ;;
Marriage certs give you the fathers names of the parents and there occupations

Carolyn P
01-11-09, 20:41
Hi Paul

The best way to start would be with your parents marriage certificate, that would give you both your grandfathers full names. Alternatively, you could order both your parents birth certificates as from them you would also get both grandmothers names.

Good luck!