PDA

View Full Version : Jane Lett nee Burgess

tenterfieldjulie
26-11-12, 01:59
My most difficult to track 2x great grandparent is Jane.
Her parents are Henry and Susanna Burgess nee Tunstead (Tonstead) who lived at Knockullard in Co Carlow. The were of Church of Ireland faith.
I presume Jane would have been born in the late 1820s or early 1830s because when she married Ralph Walker Lett at Lorum Church of Ireland in 1855 she was full age. Her daughters were born 1856, 1858, 1861, 1865 and 1867. The family had to leave Ballycormack House their home and move to Bagnaelstown. A family book says in Ralph's 60th year, so C 1877 - the girls ages 20, 18, 15, 11 and 9 and it says their half sister was probably housekeeper and surrogate mother. So I presume that Jane has died between 1867 and 1877.
Can anyone find any dates for when she was born or died. I believe she probably died at Ballycormack House near Bagnaelstown and would have been buried in the Lorum C of Ireland churchyard. Thanks.. Julie

kiterunner
26-11-12, 06:58
I can't see a death on the Irish Civil Registration index on either ancestry or FamilySearch.

tenterfieldjulie
26-11-12, 06:59
Thanks for looking Kate. One of those black holes I'm afraid.

Just Gillian
26-11-12, 07:11
When was the half sister surrogate mother? Is it possible that Ralph had been married before, or that Jane had a child before her marriage, and that the half sister was older than the others?

tenterfieldjulie
26-11-12, 07:33
Yes Ralph was married before to Hannah Watson, but it is not mentioned when. Minnie, the half sister was the oldest and was the supposed surrogate mother. Why I mentioned it, is when they move to Bagnaelstown everyone else is listed, but not Jane and Minnie is said to be the housekeeper and surrogate mother. One of Jane's daughter's dies aged 20 when they are in Bagnaelstown, then the 4 younger girls migrate to Australia. Minnie dies 3 weeks after they sail and then a few years later Ralph sails to Australia. The only info I have on Jane is when she married Ralph and the names of her daughters.. It is if she simply vanishes.

Just Gillian
26-11-12, 07:44
:o Sorry Julie. I have now been out for milk and had my first cup of tea (might as well have gone for it last night as the rain is still torrential this morning!) and my brain is functioning properly! Ignore my earlier post.

I can't see a death for Jane either.

tenterfieldjulie
26-11-12, 07:50
Thanks for your interest Gillian. I missed posting all but 1 of my 2xgrgpt before.. so I saved Jane until I had done the others, as I knew she was the hardest nut to crack .. Maybe when I go back to Carlow I might get lucky!! .. Let's hope it doesn't take 30 years like it did with Peter's living ones lol

Shona
26-11-12, 07:51
Slater's Directory for 1894 list a Henry Burgess as a Town Commission for Bagnalstown, living at Ballycormack House.

tenterfieldjulie
26-11-12, 08:08
Thanks Shona, they are related but not quite sure how. There a number substantial headstones in the Lorum Churchyard and Henry is one I think.. I must look at my photos. When Lett's left Ballycormack C1877 the lease was meant to be taken over by the Rothwell family and they purchased Ballycormack in the early 1900s. Maybe Rothwell's leased Ballycormack farm from Henry Burgess and only moved into residence after they bought it. Very confusing.

Shona
26-11-12, 18:15
Some information which may help.

Tithe applotments 1824-1825:
Wm Burgess, Cranemore, Barrgh, Carlow
Richd Burgess, Mount Annan, Tullowphelim, Carlow
Henry, Tullowlands, Tullowphelim, Carlow
George, Tullowlands, Tullowphelim, Carlow
Wm, Tullowlands, Tullowphelim, Carlow
Richd, Tullowlands, Tullowphelim, Carlow
M, Tullowlands, Tullowphelim, Carlow
Richd, Tullowlands, Tullowphelim, Carlow

Griffiths Valuation:
William Burgess, Cranemore, Barragh
William Burgess, Ballycormicj, Lorum
Susanna Burgess, Ballinree, Sliguff
Mary Burgess jr, Dunroe, Sliguff
Susanna Burgess, Dunroe, Sliguff
Susanna Burgess, Killoughternane, Sliguff
Susanna Burgess, Knockullard, Sliguff
Robert Burgess, Mill Stree, Tullowphelim
George Burgess, Tullowphelim, Tullowphelim
Robert Burgess, Tullowphelim, Tullowphelim
John Burgess, Coolnamara, Ullard

The following female Burgess marriages took places in Lorum - all CofI:

Sarah Burgess of Knockullard married David Boyd of Garretstown on 18 Feb 1863.
Father: Henry Burgess. Witness: William Burgess.

Jane Burgess of Knockullard married Ralph Walker Lett in 1855.
Father: Henry Burgess. Witness: William Burgess.

Frances Burgess of Knockullard married George Keppel of Killane on 22 March 1858.
Father: henry Burgess. Witness: William Burgess.

Susan Burgess of Knockullard married George O'Neill of Ballinkillen in 28 May 1863.
Father: Henry Burges (dec).

Maria Burgess of Knockullard married John O'Neill of Ballinkillen on 14 November 1863.
Father: Henry Burgess (dec). Witness: Nathaniel Burgess.

There's also the following CoI marriage in Lorum:
Henry Burgess of Ballycormack married Ellen Kidd of Slyguffe on 18 October 1871.

Henry Burgess also witnesses the marriage of Joseph Kidd in Lorum in 1878.

Knockullard is in the civil parish of Sliguff. Townlands bordering Knockullard:
- Ballinree
- Ballymartin
- Corries
- Currenree
- Dunroe
- Skahrane

grastudon
19-12-12, 11:31
Hi Julie,
Just looking at this other thread. It seems you have access to Joyce's brother's 'Story of Sarah Alice Lett'. For the moment; the Henry Burgess Shona mentions was my GGMother Sarah Jane's brother. He actually lived at Ballycormack Lodge. He married Ellen Kidd who was his first cousin, her mother being Elizabeth Burgess, sister of my 2xGGFather William. She died quite young and he then married Theresa or 'Tissie' Burgess who was a sister of my GGFather, another William Burgess married to Sarah Jane, and his 3rd cousin. When in church at Lorum in November we sat underneath a memorial plaque to Henry's son Robert who died of dysentery in South Africa, aged 19, exactly 50 years to the day before I was born in 1951. The Boer War was still on and he was a 'member of the constabulary'. As you can imagine I've quite a bit of Burgess detail that not many people are interested in!

Look forward to hearing from you. My email is [email protected]

Graeme Donald

tenterfieldjulie
19-12-12, 21:30
Wonderfull I will be in touch Graeme asap .. have to go to work now .. rabbits lol